Kiwi wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Chhams, if you have a sufficiently large bag (or bags), I'd chop the fruit and put in the bag(s) in the fermenter, and ferment with the fruit. That can make it easier to separate out the fruit. The fermentation process will extract more from the fruit.

You'll want to punch down the wine at least once daily, up to 3 or 4 times. You can use any clean utensil that you can sanitize. Some folks weight the bag down with things such as lead-free glass marbles, but I just punch down 3 or 4 times per day.

My starter recipe says to use a wine bottle because most winemakers have a bunch on hand. ANY glass container will work, and the instructions are the same. A beaker is functionally identical to a wine bottle, so just put a towel or piece of cloth over the top

@Chhams, if you have a sufficiently large bag (or bags), I'd chop the fruit and put in the bag(s) in the fermenter, and ferment with the fruit. That can make it easier to separate out the fruit. The fermentation process will extract more from the fruit.

You'll want to punch down the wine at least once daily, up to 3 or 4 times. You can use any clean utensil that you can sanitize. Some folks weight the bag down with things such as lead-free glass marbles, but I just punch down 3 or 4 times per day.

My starter recipe says to use a wine bottle because most winemakers have a bunch on hand. ANY glass container will work, and the instructions are the same. A beaker is functionally identical to a wine bottle, so just put a towel or piece of cloth over the top
Ok got it.

I will look throught the whitepapers tomorrow and if any questions will write it here again.
I took some notes today in my free time.

And regarding yeast starter, I am going to use glass beaker. While placing it for 18-20 hours before inoculating do I need to cover the beaker or no?
As Bryan said, just loosely cover the container so air can get in but only air. I looked through this thread and didn’t see anything about the starter, so if it’s understood, carry on.

The yeast packet says to hydrate for 15 minutes. This is true if you don’t add sugar to the yeast starter. Many of us, and for good reason, use a yeast starter. It greatly multiplies the yeast count and ensures a more quick start and a robust ferment. Add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar, dissolve in water, and add yeast. Then you can pitch anywhere from 12-24 hours later.

As Bryan said, just loosely cover the container so air can get in but only air. I looked through this thread and didn’t see anything about the starter, so if it’s understood, carry on.

The yeast packet says to hydrate for 15 minutes. This is true if you don’t add sugar to the yeast starter. Many of us, and for good reason, use a yeast starter. It greatly multiplies the yeast count and ensures a more quick start and a robust ferment. Add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar, dissolve in water, and add yeast. Then you can pitch anywhere from 12-24 hours later.
He sent the link where there is how to make yeast starter (thats where I got it from).
I will add it in my notes. Thanks!

Back