Calculating alcohol percentage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozinsusan

Reaction score
I have not seen much on figuring the actual alcohol percentage, and am wondering how to know what it is.

The starting SG was 1.09, so the PA would have been in the normal range. However, the cherry wine has a real kick to it, and I am wondering how to know the actual percentage.

When I use the hydrometer, it sinks to below 0

boozinsusan said:
I have not seen much on figuring the actual alcohol percentage, and am wondering how to know what it is.

The starting SG was 1.09, so the PA would have been in the normal range. However, the cherry wine has a real kick to it, and I am wondering how to know the actual percentage.

When I use the hydrometer, it sinks to below 0

If your wine is dry the hydrometer must read around .996 to 1

So if the reading is for example 0.996

You use the initial 1.090 minus the final and divide by 7.36

so 1090 - 996 = 94
94/7.36= 12.77 %

Or.........buy a vinometer from George.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Has anyone seen a calculator to bump up S.G. using simple syrup? I am talking you enter a starting SG and a desired starting SG and it tells you how much simple syrup to add to get to that point? You would also need to enter your starting volume I suppose. Been looking around here and on the internets and haven't seen one specifically for this purpose.

I have a CC Showcase Viognier which I want to start soon. I saw another post that it only had a starting SG of 1.07 so I am thinking I would like to bump it up to ~1.09 or so.

Cheers!

Mike,

That Viognier came with a 'Flavour Preserve' plastic bottle which has some sweetener in it - perhaps it would be worthwhile to add that first and see where the s.g. ends up.

- Jim

Doh!

I have not opened this guy and I thought it was added post fermentation. I will of course add it and stir well and check the SG before adding any additional sugar. I thought it was 1.07 after all was said and done.

Thanks Jim!

Mike,

If you want a slightly sweet (George noted it would not be very much sweetener) Viognier, then add that Flavour Preserve after fermentation as the instructions stated. I just thought you could perhaps treat it as some people do with the f-packs and add half of them up front. Let us know how it turns out whichever way you decide.

- Jim

I opened this kit yesterday. Looks like the bottle is supposed to be added post fermentation. My bottle was slightly solidified so I put it into warm water for a few minutes and it all went back into solution.

I am definitely going to bump this guy up if the starting SG is only 1.07 like your was Jim. I want it to be around 1.09 at least. That would put it around 12% ABV when finished.

Not sure how much simple syrup I will need but will start with 2 cups sugar in 1 cup warm water to start and mix in well and take a reading to see where we are at.

Will add the entire bottle of flavour preserve at day 20 like instructions say to do. No other changes except for the bump in SG.

From Jack Keller's site I find a quote "When adding sugar to raise specific gravity (S.G.), a tablespoon
less than 8 ounces will raise the S.G. of one gallon of must 0.010."

I will venture to speculate that the 8 ounces is weight not volume. Since how much syrup that would be depends on how much water you add to the sugar to make the syrup, might be better to use the weight of sugar needed, minus those tablespoons, and then make up your syrup accordingly.

I'm never quite that conscientious about how much sugar and water go together when I make a syrup, and tweak my sg adjustments in stages (with adding water) to my DIY wines. I haven't tried upping a kit's sg.

Earlier in this thread someone said you can get the ABV by subtracting the finished SG from the starting SG the dividing by 7.36.

But the link to a calculator brings up a different answer.

Does anyone know which is correct?

After playing around with a calculator....

It looks like the one from the link does the same math, BUT instead of 7.36 it goes with 7.56.

I'm still not sure which is correct.

Latest posts

Back