Calcuating percent of Alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
In my home brew log it calculates percent of alcohol using starting SG ending SG and tempature. Then it also gives a +0.5% for bottle conditioning. What is bottle conditioning and why does the percent of alcohol go up? Thanks Tomy
smiley17.gif

Bottle conditioning s the a second fermentation that goes on in the bottles usually using corn sugar to create the carbonation. Thats why the abv goes up a little bit kind of like making a sparkling wine.

Thanks much Wade, as I had never heard that term used in that way. Tomy
smiley32.gif

Wade,
How do I calculate Alcohol content? I am at day 29 and am at the 3rd racking stage.

Penny

Hi Penny, there should have been a table (piece of paper)wrapped around your hydrometer in side the round plastic case.There are also calculators on line using starting SG & finishing SG.SG is specific gravity which is the measurememt of how much heaver or lighter your wine is than water. Water measuring 1000 on the hydrometer scale. Tomy Edited by: Tomy

(Starting Gravity - Finished Gravity) X 131.25 = XX% Alcohol by Volume.

That's the forumla I use. Of course the online calculators do all that for you.

I use the formula that Dean has posted and have also seen another using 134.8 as the multiplier. Doesnt change it much at all though.

Wade, I think one formula is Alcohol by Volume and the other is Alcohol by Weight. Since we usually see all commercial alcohol measured by volume, that's the one I use.

Latest posts

Back