Mosti Mondiale caberlot....oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
just started up an All Juice Caberlot tonight, yipee!
smiley1.gif

I do have to wonder though.....it came with 30 grams of oak. I would have thought this would be an oakey wine.....I just made a Vinefera Noble 10 liter Pinot Grigio and it had 90 grams of oak.

Trying to wrap my head around the way the amount of oak is figured into these wines. The Renaissance Cabernet I made last year had 210 grams of oak and the all juice merlot had 30 grams.

Anyone make the All Juice Caberlot that can tell me how much oak was in their bucket and whether they added more?

I made an Alljuice Caberlot in January/February, and it didn't have any oak in the package, by mistake. When I mentioned this to George, he agreed that it should have had some, so he offered to supplement with oak chips or spirals. I took his offer on the medium toast American oak spirals, and used one of the two in the package. Even though it said the extraction would be complete in 6 weeks, I left it in from early February to April 25 when I racked it. I seriously considered putting both spirals in to the carboy, but decided against it based on the kit's expected 30 gram of oak. I'm trusting the kit maker to know how much is just right, but I too am curious about the mysterious variability of oak in the different kits (never had a kit with 210 grams before - that's a lot!).

I would taste it after you remove that oak and decide then if you want more and either get the spirals or the cubes.

I may just do that. 30grams just does not seem enough. What exactly is the difference between the spirals and the cubes? This may be my first wine that i add extra oak.

Spirals are a one pce. long stick like a big screw of ak while cubes are small cubes of oak. The cubes have more surface contact with the wine so will oak a wine faster while the spirals will stay in longer and have less sediment due to them being of 1 solid pce. Both will do a good job though.I think you have a better availability of different types with the cubes though as far as what type and different toasting.

Latest posts

Back