WineXpert Cab Sauv.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
I get ansy, so I opened a bottle of cab sauv that I started in March and bottled early June.

I was disapointed by the lack of body,although it is oaky and very dry. I do not have my paper nearby, but I remember SG was low, around 1.075 but ended in the proper area0.090-+ .

Please tell me to give it a few months and it will change! I did add extra sulfite as instructions stated if these bottles were to age more than 6 months.

smikes, age is a wonderful thing.
smiley4.gif
Give your Cab some more time to age and get happy in that bottle!!

Give it a few months and it will change!

Seriously, it really depends on which kit you did. The 7.5 and 10 liter red kits do tend to be a bit thin. That said, your wine is very young, so there is much room for improvement. I rarely even bottle a wine before it is 6 months old, and then leave it alone for another two months after bottling.

Time is your friend.

My WE Vintners Reserve Shiraz (7.5L) is just at 1.5 years from pitching the yeast and has become a very respectable wine. A bit thin, but very close to the standard $10 supermarket wine. (I really wish now that I hadn't drank so much of it so early!)My WE Selection Estate Cab Sav (16L) is just about one year old, and it's almost there. And my MM All Juice Shiraz (23L) is developing nicely after 9 months but needs more time.

Kits make things easy, but there's just no substitute for time - your patience will berewarded!Edited by: Mark

Report back this time next year with a report. It ought to be about half way there.
smiley2.gif

I agree, if it is a W.E kit smaller then 15 liter then it will improve but will still be thin in my opinion. This is very early in the game for a Big Red Wine like a Cab so expect much improvement over the next 6 months min.

So ,this thiness is normal for WE? Are anyother kits fuller in body?
Nope, scratch that,I want to go a different way.

Local winery sells thier fresh juice once they start picking and would like to make a wine from scratch.I haven't called to see if it is just pressed juice or if they keep skins on it.

They have Cab Franc,Cab Sauv. and Merlot which are my three favs.

I would appreciate any help pointing me towards some good reciepes or ideas for these three wines.Kits are OK, but I like to get my fingers dirty( or at least stained red) if you get my drift!

I would try their wine first before trying to make wine from their grapes to be sure that it is worth the effort. Some of these kits will surely make a better wine then some local wineries and vice versa. When buying a red wine kit it pays big time to buy the bigger kits and not the smaller all though there are some exceptions to the rules.

If you want to make wine from fresh juice I suggest you buy some books and read up on it. From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox is a great book to begin with. He covers the process pretty well. He explains how to make the proper adjustments to the juice such as acidity, pH,etc. Just because it is fresh juice doesn't mean it will make good wine. Even vinyards that produce great grapes can have off years due to enviromental factors. To make a good wine with fresh juice you will need this knowledge and skills. It is actually quite easy and enjoyable to learn. Other than that, once you have balanced juice it is basically the same process asmaking any wine.

This kit camewith a fairly small bag, I don't remember the size,although it was for 6 gal.

I already have the Vines to Wines book as wll as Winery Technology & Operations by Dr.Yair Margalit , and The Home Winemakers Companion by Gene Spaziani.

I love coming here to learn from all of you because so many pipe in with ideas and comments, it helps clarify what I read.

This is a wonderful Forum!

Smikes,
Welcome to the forum! Please stay with us and share your experiences! I've sure learned a lot from others on this forum (and still don't know much!) and am having a great time.

OK , just a question. I did the WE Cab S. and last night added the extra little bags and degassed. I see everything is settling to the bottom byt there is a bit stuck on the sides also (I see it may be hard to clean down the road). I did taste it and it is kind of an off taste but am hoping that is a time thing?
So after the 14 days I am supposed to wait I could just rack it into another carboy and let it settle some more? (the kit says after 14 days see if it is clear and if not let sit another 7). But I could put it into another one and that would help it clear better? Also I can bulk age a little while longer before bottling at the 14 day point?

I am thinking of heading to the store for another kit. (It is 10 minutes away!) Prob a riesling this time.... I am glad I am my own accountant. :) I will just have to get the timing right for transfers.
Mary

Vino lucky you to only be 10 min away from the fun store, I am afraid if I lived that close it would be like on Cheers when Norm comes in.

It won't hurt to leave in the secondary more time then rack off again after gently back and forth rolling the carboy to release the side deposits. I would probably leave in at least 3-4 weeks and see how clearing.

Some one elsewith way more knowledgethan Iwill help youtoo.

Happy Wine Making

after only 14 days of fermentation any taste even remotely resembling wine is pure coincidence! Off tastes will occur until the wine is aged properly. For smaller reds (like vintners reserve), 6 months minimum, for larger reds (15L kits and up), 9 months minimum, and even better 18 months for full development.

As far as sediment on the sides, give the carboy a quick twist back and forth once a week to cause the sediment to fall off the sides.

I concur with the quick twist and it works well. You may have to do this a few times. Bulk aging once you rack off that sediment is the best thing you can do. If you plan on bulk aging longer then 3 months then another dose 1/4 tsp. of k-meta should be added at that point whether you bottle then or not to protect it!

OK- did the twist thing and could see stuff moving off the sides. When one mixes in the k-meta at that point how does it get mixed in without stirring up the sediment? Or just rack again then add it? still stir?

Thanks all for your advice! Today was day 14 and the wine is very clear.
smiley1.gif
I racked it into a better bottle and did not have to top it off since it seems to be a little smaller. I will let it bulk age maybe a couple weeks....I was hoping for some xmas wine to give away (Maybe on my lable it should say dont drink til after June!!)
Do I count my 'aging' from now (when the kit directions say to bottle) ? I did not add in extra k-meta today, and actually would have not had room in the better bottle for it. So before I bottle should I re-rack and then mix it in? (I am not sure why the BB seemed smaller- it was a 6 gal.)
Thanks(ALso started an WE Italion pinot grigio)

The glass carboy was actually probably bigger. To add k-meta to it just extract some wine and mix it in the extracted wine then add it back.

Latest posts

Back