Cab sauv in cold

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
My parents own a farm in upstate ny. The zip is 14098 and according to my research it is zone 6. I found a few website that sell vines online and they say cab sauv, merlots, pinot gris can be grown in this climate. I am wondering if anyone has tried this or knows whether it is true?

I am originally from what is considered up state NY near Syracuse, I would not classify it as a good place to grow vinifera grapes.
I would suggest calling Double A vineyards. they are located in Rochester New York, I believe, and they should be able to give you straight information.

If marginal I would lean toward Riesling and Cabernet Franc.

Edit: I just checked the web site for Double A vineyards. they did not recommend any of the grapes you mentioned for Zone 6. Riesling and Cabernet Franc were recommended. looks like they were sold out of Riesling.
I would definitely coordinate your purchase with Double A vineyards.

Last edited:
I think it would be a real stretch to grow them there. That is only a few miles from Lake Ontario and in a pretty heavy snow belt. They might live there but who know if there is enough growing season and degree days to fully ripen them.

Thx. Yea I looked at double a and saw they did not have the grapes for that zone. Other sites did/do. Honestly if the grapes grew there I think others would already be growing them commwrially. Land is cheap there and there is plenty of it. Anyone know how cab franc wine turns out? Is it a red or whit?

Latest posts

Back