CAB RRANC ??????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.E.T.

Reaction score
APPLEMAN
I HAVE 200 LB. CAB FRANC. WOULD I USE SAME RECIPS AS FOR CONCORD GRAPS? IF NOT WHAT RECIPE WOULD YOU USE?

THANK YOU

R.E.T.
You can use the same basic ingredients as the Concord, but don't add sugar unless the SG is under 1.085- 1.090. It would be nice to be able to check TA to make sure it is good to begin with, but if you can't it will probably be OK. De-stem the grapes and crush them then add the must to the fermenters(probably take 2 -3 pails or a larger container). Add the pectic enzyme and 1/4 tsp K-Meta per 5-6 gallons. Cover it and let it sit for 24 hours. Next day pitch the yeast. Make sure if you use pails you have plenty of room above the must in them because the cap risesa few inches.
Use a good potato masher or something similar and push the cap that rises back into the juice 3 times daily. When it stops rising(after about a week) the primary ferment will be done. Using whatever means you have, press the juice out of the pulp. If you strain it through a sanitized collander, you will get out the free run juice first. You should be able to get 15 to 20 gallons of juice out of it. Put in glass at that point if the SG is close to 1.000, if not put back in the pails until it is. Proceed like you would with a regular wine then.

If you can't press the pulp you can use just the free run juice, but you will lose a lot of the good stuff and will have less.

Good luck and if you need more help just ask and I will do the best I can to assist you.Edited by: appleman

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.
HAVE 30GAL. CONTAINOR HOPE ITS BIG ENOUGH.

Latest posts

Back