Other Cab and Chard in progress.. What's next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cab merlot and petit Verdot together is a meritage, right?

Yup!

As I think you know, a Meritage (which is a trademarked name) is a non-Bordeaux wine made from the traditional Bordeaux grapes. Those include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot, St. Macaire, Gros Verdot, or Carmenère.

IIRC, modern Bordeaux wines only use Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot.

IIRC, modern Bordeaux wines only use Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot.

Paul,

A Bordeaux only has to use at least two of those varieties, right? Just started getting interested in Bordeaux after the bottle I enjoyed the other night, but haven't had the chance to hit the library yet. So you can be my substitute teacher for today, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Paul,

A Bordeaux only has to use at least two of those varieties, right? Just started getting interested in Bordeaux after the bottle I enjoyed the other night, but haven't had the chance to hit the library yet. So you can be my substitute teacher for today, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Bordeaux wines are typically dominated by either Cabernet (left bank) or Merlot (right bank). Let's say 60-70% of the bottle. Then, on a left bank Bordeaux, the remaining wine will usually be the Merlot and either a Cab Franc or the Petite Verdot. For, right bank, the remains are usually Cab and either Cab Franc or the PV.

They're also called Clarets in England or Meritage elsewhere.

Paul,

In addition to the jgman's excellent information, and to directly answer your question, ceeaton, my understanding is that they may use only one of the varietals, if desired. Moreover, 100% Merlot wines are, in fact, produced in St. Emilion and Pomerol.

Back