Other Cab and Chard in progress.. What's next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My chard is in the secondary and the cab is on a shelf till summer. So, I'm thinking about what comes next. I want another red for me and a summer white for my wife.

For her, I'm going to try the peach apricot Chardonnay - should be a quick turn around. Going to boost the ABV with sugar or syrup.

But for my red... I'm really struggling to choose one (and unfortunately, don't have extra $$$ to do choose than one at a time). I'm open to suggestions but am leaning towards one of the following:

1. WE triumph. Love a good Meritage.

2. We Enigma. Nice description from the company, and LP has a nice sale going. But I don't know what the blend is. Is it Syrah, zin and Cab?? Anyone know for sure?

3. RJS or CC amarone. I hear a lot on this kit. Never had an amarone but, dang, it sounds good.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be a great help.

Last edited:
Morning

A few suggestions...one for your wife...Piesporter :D

And for you...

1. K

2. All of the above...big blend...think Apothic Red...I've had it and the CC Mystic...to me they were the same and to me I personally wouldn't drink the whole kit...I've done the Diablo Rojo too and again...off dry red...nice but it's gonna take me a few years to drink...

3. YUM!! But I'm a huge fan of anything Italian!!! My cellar could be all from there and I'd be a happy camper!!

A couple more you should put in the mix...Tempranillo (with or without skins) and Carmenere...those two from WE turned out extremely well for me...very pleased!!

Enjoy the hobby!!!

1. The Triumph is a LE kit, so it may be harder to come by...though it seems this year with their pricing setup there are more available than I remember in past years. Unfortunately, there really aren't many Bordeaux type blends available in kit form, though I do think there is a CC Showcase Cabernet/Merlot (with skins). There used to be a RJS Winery Series Meritage, though it looks like it was phased out. Course, you could always make your own blend down the line.

2. It is pretty similar to Apothic Red, I believe, which seems mean you will either love it or despise it. I think all of the major kit manufacturers have their own version of this kit now.

3. Amarone is a good wine, but unfortunately it is not cheap to try a good example of one if you have never tried it before. It is not a wine for everyone's tastes.

You could also try a good Cabernet kit. Sadly, the Red Mountain Cabernet (CC Showcase) has been replaced by a Sonoma Valley Cabernet. That is arguably one of the best kit wines I have ever made. Also, if you are into Italian style wines, the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan is a perennial favorite. I'm not sure I have ever heard a legitimate complaint about it.

You could also try a good Cabernet kit. Sadly, the Red Mountain Cabernet (CC Showcase) has been replaced by a Sonoma Valley Cabernet. That is arguably one of the best kit wines I have ever made. Also, if you are into Italian style wines, the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan is a perennial favorite. I'm not sure I have ever heard a legitimate complaint about it.

By the beginning of July, I'm hoping to bottle the Aussie Cab I've got in bulk aging right now. So, I'm really an open book on what to do next. I like the idea of the CC Cab/Merlot (I could use a Petit Verdot or Cab Franc to top it off as I go, maybe).

Planning the next buy in a couple weeks.

FWIW, the Red Mountain Cab is still available at some retailers. And my understanding is they have just run out. The way it was worded in the FineVineWines newsletter it sounded like they'll pick production back up after this fall's harvest.

For the summertime white - apricot and peaches sound awesome, but I really want to avoid the artificial flavoring in some of the island mist kits. Anyone done this one that can attest to taste/natural flavors?

I saw some higher end kits with more juice that might fly. But they're going to require 6/9 months of aging.

Last edited:
For the summertime white - apricot and peaches sound awesome, but I really want to avoid the artificial flavoring in the island mist kits. I saw some higher end kits with more juice that might fly.

Let us not forget those pesky dandelions will be blooming very soon!

A lovely white summertime wine!!!!:ib

Hey Jim,

How about a 6 gallon juice Chilean bucket and 18 lbs of grapes from Harford Vineyards? Straight shot down 83 and take a left (go east young man) before you hit Baltimore. Easily under $100 and they have quite a few choices. I think they are still taking orders since I ordered another 18 lb lug of grapes the other day (I think I may have been drinking at the time). I think they are due in the first week of May.

Just a thought.

To Craig's point, you can get a bucket of white Chilean juice for about $54. They have muscat, which is a really nice one. I have had this made off-dry and it's very tasty.
https://www.harfordwinery.com/chilean-juices/

For a red, you could do the same Chilean bucket + lug (18 pounds) of grapes. I am doing that with Carmenere this year. Bucket is $54ish and a lug of grapes are $28.
https://www.harfordwinery.com/chilean-grapes/

I try to get grapes and juice when they are in season, and do kits when there's no harvest or the varietal doesn't grow near me.

Heather

Darn, I was going to pick a few up today along with some cheap used bottles they have (recycled Nissley Wine bottles). Guess I'll have to call Brad and harass him when they open.

Go over to the Making Wine with Grapes category and look for "Chilean harvest 2015 at Harford Vineyard". Here's what Heather said:

"I like the powdered MLB better than the liquids.

Your process looked good, a couple of notes:

Crushing and destemming isn't anything mysterious, you just have to get the grapes broken open and off the leaves and stems.

I put the grapes in six smaller mesh bags to make them easy to handle. Three in each pail.

SG/ph/ta adjustments are first step.

Pectic enzyme is second. Then you wait the allotted amount of time.

I run MLF and alcohol fermentation at the same time. The grapes and juice should be room temperature by the time you have done the prep.

Your notes on squeezing grapes sound good - I didn't stress over that. Do what you have time for.

No kmeta until after MLF is complete. I have to say I didn't do much in the way of stirring and fussing over the MLF. I stirred once every few days.

Your schedule for nutrients sounded good.

Let me check my notes on when to press... Or another member can chime in. I did this by hand, hence the smaller mesh bags. You can freeze the grapes and use in later kits.

You'll rack off the lees when alcoholic fermentation is done, and then MLF will continue in the carboys.

MLF takes time, I gave it a month before testing; I used the strips. Frankly, though, I could taste when the wine turned the corner from tart to mellow as the mlb did their work. When it got to where I liked the taste I called it done and added kmeta but no sorbate. There are more technical ways to go about it, but this works for me.

Then racked and let it sit to clear and degass. I racked a couple of times and you should add kmeta when you rack.

In terms of oak, I added powder to primary, then chips in a mesh bag while in a carboy. The chips last about six weeks.

Fairly straightforward. The forum is here if you have questions during the process.

Heather"

Hope that helps!

Heather - what do you think of a cab/Merlot batch of Chilean juice with petit Verdot grapes?

I second what Heather said. Sounds good. In fact, I'm thinking of a similar blend for the CA harvest this fall. Maybe Syrah instead of Merlot though.

The juice comes in its own bucket. The grapes, when I get them crushed and de stemmed by Harford, come in a bucket as well - but I bring my own primary for the crushed grapes and transfer them over. That is their process for whatever reason.

Also note, they sell brute buckets that are large enough to coferment the juice and grapes for around $32. So if you want everything together in one primary, that is the way to get there.

Heather

Back