Bung leaving an oder/flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dend78

Reaction score
has anyone else experienced this? ive noticed it on my batch of dragons blood, i opened it up and i get the distinct smell from the bung. its that rubber smell, then when i take a taste off the top it is for sure there not terribly just its there. is this normal?

Yep. I get it too. Haven't noticed it in the wine though. I've started using silicone bungs instead of the rubber ones when I can. I also make a point to soak the rubber bungs any time I have a bucket of sanitizer mixed up. The smell is still there, though not as bad.

yeah i soaked mine too, its not terrible and it may be the smell and my brain thinks its tasting it as well just making sure i didnt miss some kind of rookie step along the way :)

There are whole threads on here debating the bung taste, and whether it is real and did it come from the bung, or whatnot. Yes, I have had it happen on a batch of apple. I bottled two bottles of it just to see if time will take it away, and poured out the rest. The taste was strong.

I do plan to report my findings on the bottles I stored once enough time has passed to open one and try it.

The white solid bungs sold now are made in China with who knows what. If you soak them in hot soapy water - or even better, run them through the dishwasher before you use them - it is said to help kill that taste.

I have made retailers aware of this problem, and the replies I got insisted it is my winemaking and not their bungs. I no longer order supplies from those retailers.

I have made retailers aware of this problem, and the replies I got insisted it is my winemaking and not their bungs. I no longer order supplies from those retailers.

how can my winemaking affect the taste of the bung :slp (say that outloud at work and see what kind of looks you get :) )

yeah i thought i had it when i was making my first two attempts but thought nah its just me i dont know what im doing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqaKi9NTzS4[/ame]

:)

TP for the bunghole? hopefully its for covering during primary :)

ahhh yes the things kids miss now days nothing quite like a good marathon of Bevis and Butthead, thank you Mike Judd

Back