Frozen fruits brand which one is better?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I made several batches of fruit wine and most made with frozen fruits and I noticed quite a difference between different brands. So far Dragon Blood made with Dole frozen mixed berries was consumed and the flavor was amazing. I'm not sure about other wines that are still aging but I used other brands. Did anyone made a good comparison of frozen fruits brands. I think about brands sold by Walmart, Aldi, BJS or Giant.

Not exactly frozen fruit but Coloma Frozen sells many different frozen concentrated fruit juices as well as wine grape concentrate.

The quality is based on the ripeness of the ingredient which is formulated into the product. Yes there are some tweaks the factory can do as in frozen concentrate one can run the evaporator the increase the brix or put in more apple concentrate to increase sugar without acids.
The industry has changed since your grandparents. ex Dole in your grandparents age did pineapple but today it doesn’t, ,,, it is contracted and private labeled. I see advertisements from Oregon Fruit which will sell me raspberry by the frozen skid. China produces much of the apple concentrate going into US ciders/ frozen juice. Sennica Foods has purchased Green Giant canning plants and private labels Green Giant and Libby’s in the same equipment. The rice factory would pack Walmart and Aldis and Harris Teater and Kroger out of the same finished goods bin.

Which is best? ,,,,> The garden ingredient where you can pick ripe fruit and let the green fruit sit a day more. (ex blueberry harvestor)
CE4A548E-CAF1-44FB-9DD7-828C9B8B9D00.jpeg

I’m interested actually in quality of frozen fruits not juices. I recently purchased frozen mango chunks from Walmart and the fruits were lacking the distinctive mango flavor. On the other hand mixed berries by Dole were exceptionally good.

I bought some frozen blueberries at Costco late last year that were actually excellent. Supposedly grown and packaged by the same small outfit. Seems everything else I've tried is disappointing. It's all about saving time and money...and getting rid of the small competition.

Latest posts

Back