WineXpert Bulk Storage in a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
When using a carboy for bulk storage is it better to use an undrilled stopper or an air lock?

Flyboy, it may be personal preference, but I would always use an air lock. This time of year with temperature and pressurefluctuations as they can be, will make the liquide level rise and fall. I can't help but think if the liquid level rose, the pressure inside the carboy could pop a solid bung off. Nothing scientific on my part, just my guess and what I do. I don't even own a solid bung.

I totally agree with jobe05 on this as I have tried the solid stopper routine and had one pop out on me
smiley7.gif
. Stick with an airlock andjust keep an eye on the level of water in it over time.

I thought that would be the answer given atmospheric pressures. You folks are great in fast responses and opinions.

Thanks once again.

Is there a diffrence if you store in carboy instead of bottling? Will the flavor change in bulk storage compared to bottle storage?

bm,

You will have less temperature fluxuation in a carboy as compared to a bottle due to surface area of the glass surrounding the wine. The main reason I choose to bulk age in a carboy is it keeps me out of it till I get some age on it
smiley36.gif

Others may disagree, but I don't see much difference in flavor for either.

The taste of the wine will be more consistant in a carboy also.

Latest posts

Back