Mosti Mondiale bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlevelflyer

Junior
Reaction score
I started an MM Chianti on 03-30-08, racked to the carboy after 4 days(04 04), SG of .994. I did not add any chemicals and it now has about 1 1/2 inches of sediment. Have done a couple taste tests, good wine, still has the carbonated taste to it. It has cleared to the point that it looks like bottled wine.Taste compares to Franzia boxed Chianti. Glass has lots of runners. I plan to bulk age it for several months. Just want some pointers on what I should do to enhance the quality. I have bought a package of sprial american oak, medium +. Any pointers would be great.
thanks
Mike

The first thing I would do is to rack it off the sediment(lees). It could begin to cause off flavors if left on the dead yeast too long. I would also make sure I added the potassium metabisulfate as instructed , especially if you are going to bulk age. It is your choice if you want to oak it or not. If you are happy with it now, I would bulk age a while and then bottle it.

Welcome to the forum!Edited by: appleman

I will rack it to another carboy andadd the potassium metabisulfite, I am assuming that ifI dont add the sorbate then I will not need to top of the carboy. It is only after adding the sorbate that you need to top offthe carboy? Is that right? Thanks for the help and the welcome!

Once the wine s done fermenting you should top up. This is because once it is done fermenting there are no more gases (or little of) given off to protect your wine from oxidation. Sorbate is just for helping your wine from re fermenting.

I would degass and then top up to prevent the dreded wine volcano.

Appleman, I racked my cab sav for a second time. I was thinking of bulk aging this one. But I don't think I can because I had already added the liquidgel and siligel to it.

I was reading the threads here on how the leftover lees may produce an off flavor.

Instructions say I should have added the gels 8 or 10 days before bottling.
I really don't want to mess this one up. haha

Bottle soon??

As long as you rack again in a month or so to get the wine off the lees with the liquigel/siligel you can then bulk age for as long as you like.

Peter, I racked it off the lees yesterday. So, I add some k-meta and let her bulk age for a month.
thanks for the quick response.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back