Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kutya

Reaction score
I just picked up one of those stainless steel coke syrup dispensers used in conjunction with a fountain. Anyone ever use one for bulk aging? It seems to seal up pretty tight, and it's tall and slender for storing?? Any input??? jh

If you can minimize the amount of air exposure they should work just fine. I take it these are what thebeer guys call corny kegs and hold 5 gals?

Yes, 5 gal. Do you mean by filling it as full as possible to minimize air exposure? What if I drilled a hole in the top and put it under airlock?

Yes and Yes....when we talk about topping up carboys for bulk aging the standard is to bring the liquid level 2" from the bung so the volume of head space in the corny needs to be close to that.

That is a cornelius keg, and many many beer people would be saddened greatly if you drilled it
smiley19.gif

Yes, you can seal it up and use it for bulk aging. Better still, you can place mist wine kits in it and get a small cylinder of CO2 and carbonate them. You can also carbonate Champagne in there too without bottle conditioning! Oh, and they work awesome for beer too!!! I use them all the time.

A Co2 regulator will run you about $60, couplers for the posts on the keg are about $2.50 each, and a pour spout can run anywhere from $5 to $80 if you want to get elaborate.

I do believe this could easily be filled to within 2 inches from the top, I could even fill it fuller than that, and place the top back on. I don't want to drill it if I don't have to, but am willing to do that...

Dean thanks for the info.

If you are bulk aging why would you need the airlock?? Since those corny keg lids will seal pretty good any way.

I have seen on a beer board where someone was using the corny keg lid in a fermentator and removed the pressure release valve and they used some vinyl tubing ( a short piece) which they attached to the threading from the air relief valve. To that they then attached the air lock and not have to (shudder) drill the corny lid.
smiley3.gif

Beer makers will often use their cornys to bulk age their brews. I wouldn't fill more than 2 inches from the top. To make a good seal the rubber ring on the lid ideally needs to have some lubricant applied to it and thus hard to keep it sanitized. Closer to the top the more careful and harder to get the lid in place.Edited by: docbee

Side note: Beware of false seal. First couple I bought would not make a good seal without pressuring up. And Dean's right... grease that puppy.

If you like your keg, and if you are a junk hound like myself, make friends with your local scrap yards. When you go take 7/8" wrench for ball lock and 13/16" modified deep socket for pin lock. Last trip I bought two kegs(6.50 ea 10# @ .65/lb) and stripped another half dozen of inlet/outlet fittings, gas and dip tubes, and lids. They did not care since it all goes on scale.

And Dean,by any chance you got that Jim Llyod chart on carbonation for sparkling wine. (See bunch of ref. to it but cant find it) Considering making carbonated hooch and was wondering temp/pressure for 6 volumes of CO2.

Good luck with your keg,

Deano

Latest posts

Back