Mosti Mondiale Bulk Aging Vinfera Noble

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixdoubleo

Reaction score
I have a couple Vinifera Noble kits going (Valpolicella and Sangiovese) and have just racked them for degassing and clarification (Phase 2 in the Vinifera Noble instructions). I plan to bulk age these in the carboy for at least 4-6 months...maybe more. My question is whether to add clarifying agents now or wait.

I have degassed with a Mix-Stir, added the K-Meta and topped off. The FAQ on their website (see below) say that if you plan to bulk age these kits, you should hold off on the clarifying agents until before bottling.

Since I'm still very new to this, I plan to follow their recommendation and not add them yet. But this is counter to other kits I've done. I've read here that others have bulk-aged these kits and was wondering what some of you might have done here? What are the pros and cons of holding off on the clarifying agents?

From their website:

How do I bulk age my wine?

In order to bulk age your wine, we suggest that you postpone clarifying your wine using the siligel and liquigel provided to 7-10 days before filtering and bottling your finished wine. Also, as mentioned in our new instruction sheets, the addition of the potassium sorbate will be performed just before you bottle your wine in order to have the full strength of the sorbic acid inside the bottle avoiding any possible re-fermentation and unpleasant sediment.

First, Welcome to this forum!!!! You don't have to add the clarifying agent at all if the wine clears by itself over time. If you want to use it you can add it now or wait. Either way will not effect the quality or taste of your kit. Just make sure while bulk aging that every 3 months you rack add K-Meta.

BOB

I dont really under stand the holding off on adding the fining agent until later unless they are telling you to do so because of ending up short after the racking and then needing to top off where as if you bulk age and then fine it right before bottling you could just rack off the sediment into a clean vessel and bottle right then thus not having the need to top up.

First Welcome to FVW Forums! Glad you found us.
20100827_203623_kgo_057.gif

I have always added my fining agents up front at ~ 20 days and just let them settle out over time (usually 6-7 months bulk aging. At bottling time I rack off the fines and bottle. Have never tasted anything other than a fantastic (albeit young) wine.

fining agents combine with particals in the wine making them heavy causing them to fall out. this can cause the wine to change color, flavor and odor. ( good or bad) The less you use the less you change. the later you use it the less it is needed. Vinfera Noble kits are good on taste and good at dropping sedement a year after it is bottled. Bulk aging first then hitting the remaining sedement with the fining agent is like a one two punch. I like to taste and smell the wine after bulk aging. If I still need it I use it then give it a few weeks to work.

Good info! Thanks for the feedback guys. So it's sounding like it doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things...just that doing it at the end just before bottling might give you an extra opportunity to catch anything that didnt clear on its own.

In my eyes if you bulk age around a year there will most likely be no need to use a fining agent thus saving it for a wine that you do need it. There will be wines in your future will you will need to use a fining agent eventually.

Curious how much K-Meta you add at each racking during the bulk aging process per gallon?

I heard that if you put a stopper on the carboy instead of an airlock you dont have to add K meta again. Basically they said if you use an air lock you do need the K meta but if you put a stopper the K meta gas cant get out. Anyone know if this is true?

If I plan to age for a long period of time I would prefer less chemicals if possible.

It is true but temp or barometric changes will make a solid stopper pop out so be careful on that!

Latest posts

Back