bulk aging - Village Vintner Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaJ

Reaction score
Hi all. Last night I racked this for the second time (step #3 - day 20) and added the Potassium Metabisulphite and the Potassium Sorbate. Gave it a couple good beatings with the Mix-Stir last night, and one so far this morning.

As a complete and total rookie (this is my first kit), I ask about bulk aging. The next step this kit wants is for me to add the siligel and liquigel this evening after further degassing, and then wait about eight days until the wine falls clear. Rack again, and bottle.

If I were to bulk age this, would I want to wait to add the siligel and liquigel? Or do I still add that later today? If I decide to bulk age, would I want to rack again in another eight days, or can I just leave it as is for a while? Do I need to worry about temperature anymore? And maybe most importantly, do you even think this wine will see any benefit from bulk aging?

Thanks everyone for all your help thus far!

Personally I would go on and get this baby cleared, rack it and give it a couple of weeks and then bottle. It should be ready to drink in a couple of months so bulk aging is not really necessary and you can get the next one going.

My vote is to go with vcasey advice on this one.....It is a fairly quick maturing wine....Enjoy ....CHEERS....
smiley32.gif

+2
If this was a kit that required longer aging, I would say to bulk age. But you might as well knock this one out.

Just wanna add no benefit from bulk aging a Pinot Gris. Bottle it up. You need the experience of the first kit anyway.

Keep it warm for a few days while clearing, let the fines settle, rack it carefully so you don't stir up the fines and bottle it!

Latest posts

Back