Bulk aging suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not like to use any kind of fining agents, so I do the following...

1) I age for two years in bulk (200 liters and higher). I only rack 1 or 2 times during the second year during the cooler months.

2) I then filter the wine several weeks prior to bottling.

As far a clarity, I find that the second year of waiting really does the trick. It is a real test of self control, but everybody seems to like the results.

johnT.

Thanks!

Same amount before degasing? 1/4tsp? Dilute then add, or add the crystals straight to it?

I would draw a sample and mix the 1/4 tsp of k-meta in it - then add this back into the carboy and stir in - then degass.

I am assuming you have racked your wine to a clean vessel - right?

I would draw a sample and mix the 1/4 tsp of k-meta in it - then add this back into the carboy and stir in - then degass.

I am assuming you have racked your wine to a clean vessel - right?

Haven't done it yet, I'm planning a head. I'm going to get another carboy before I do this.

Ok, bulk aging is good... so a 6 gal carboy is good , is a 5 gallon just as good, how about a 3 gallon, I got a bunch of 1 gallon jugs sitting around how about them, heck if 1 gallon is good why can't I just bottle it, keep them really close and promise not to drink it for a year.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I don't get the difference. bk

Ok, bulk aging is good... so a 6 gal carboy is good , is a 5 gallon just as good, how about a 3 gallon, I got a bunch of 1 gallon jugs sitting around how about them, heck if 1 gallon is good why can't I just bottle it, keep them really close and promise not to drink it for a year.

I would think, use the biggest carboy you can for the quantity of wine...without leaving to much head space to avoit oxydation...

I've read articles that say the biggest advantage of bulk aging over bottle aging is that you are less likely to suffer a weak moment and drink it early.

If they are gallon milk jugs, its probably not the right kind of plastic.

OK think for a minute.....
OK minute is UP !
If all vineyard wines is bottled like what you want to do nobody would drink it. Most if not all reds are aged in large SS tanks or barrels for 1 year min. Now why do you think they do that? Simple Better Wine !

Bulk aging vs bottle aging is one of those discussions that will go on forever; there are no doubt good reasons for both. Just defining bulk is not easy, as Homer demonstrates. It would be so much easier if someone could say this way is better because .. and give some understandable and definitive reason why. There is a theory about long chain molecules that form when bulk aged, but this means nothing to me - I would think a long chain at the molecular level could form in a bottle as well as a carboy or a barrel or a vat but this is beyond my comprehension. And to say that the wine needs time to integrate - what the heck does that mean?
I have not personally compared the same wine bulk aged in, say a 23 liter carboy, for a year, to one that has been bottled for a year to see if there is a difference. I doubt that many have. We generally rely on what others say or what we read and accept that.
As I say, this discussion will live long and prosper.

LOL! I prefer to bulk age... But that being said, I only have so much room and so many carboys. Ferment Fever has probably pushed most to bottle early at some point. I agree this will be agrgued 'til the end of time.

With bottle aging, you can get micro-oxidation that can soften the tanins in a wine (that is only if the bottle is sealed with a cork). With other closures (like stel vin) the clear cut difference between bulk aged and bottle aged is much less pronounced. Contact with the cork itself can also have an effect on the wine.

I bulk age my wine for 2 years. I will then bottle most of the wine (using natural corks), but may leave a demijohn in reserve. It is very surprising just how different the wine is after a few years apart. I find that the bottle aged wine is a lot softer, but the bulk aged wine is a lot more "fresher" with a slightly deeper flavor.

I say that you should judge for yourself. Make two batches of your favorite. Bottle one and bulk age the other. Taste it after a year or so, then decide what you prefer and go for it!!!!

Latest posts

Back