Cellar Craft Bulk aging CC Red Mnt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I can't find any info on this. I started a CC red mnt cab back in June. I followed the instructions until the bottling was supposed to happen and just decided to leave it in the carboy topped up with the hungarian cubes it came with. I have not tested it yet or racked it since then. Can I just leave this or should I add more Kmeta? I don't have a tester, so can't do that. It seems that if I keep it locked up I really shouldn't have to add more Kmeta every 3 months or so like I've heard others do. I was hoping to keep it as is until next June and bottle at that time.

I can't find any info on this. I started a CC red mnt cab back in June. I followed the instructions until the bottling was supposed to happen and just decided to leave it in the carboy topped up with the hungarian cubes it came with. I have not tested it yet or racked it since then. Can I just leave this or should I add more Kmeta? I don't have a tester, so can't do that. It seems that if I keep it locked up I really shouldn't have to add more Kmeta every 3 months or so like I've heard others do. I was hoping to keep it as is until next June and bottle at that time.

Till next June is a long time to be in the carboy without the free SO2 level changing, even with a solid bung. As I wrote on another thread, Tim V. of Wine Maker Magazine wrote that solid bungs will leak air more than you might expect. They really aren't air tight. So, I would think about adding more SO2 periodically. Of course it would be better to properly test it with a test kit, but if you can't, the recommended amount to add is about 1/8 tsp every 3 months or so. I, and others on here, used to recommend 1/4 tsp every three months, but I believe that has proven to be more than necessary.

At this point, you are about due for a dose. Just remember that without accurate measurement, it is sort of hit or miss.

Thanks - I will rack, taste and add 1/8 tsp this weekend. I might add some more oak to this kit since I'm a big oak fan.

I have bulk aged red kit wines for 6-7 months with a solid stopper that still had just enough SO2 in them (based on their pH) that I didn't add any more at bottling. No way you could go another 6 months safely without adding another small top up dose.

Back