Bulk aging after 5 days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crcarey

Reaction score
I started a batch of wine from pail juice. After 4 weeks and a few days my SG reading was at .990. I racked and moved the carboy to 55 degrees to bulk age. After 5 days here is where I am at. Please see the attached pic. Do you think I have anything to worry about for this normal? Maybe let it go and rack it after a month? Thoughts, thank you in advance

photo(2).JPG

Have you degassed and/or added any fining agent? It looks like sediment collecting both on the bottom and at the ribs of the carboy. Daily give the carboy a half twist to dislodge the sediment and let it fall. It will take a while to clear and will need more rackings

Terry

I have not degassed or added any agents. I was going to bulk age for about 4 months then degas prior to bottling.

I believe this is just junk settling out. I have seen this in my carboys. You will probably get about an inch of stuff on the bottom of your carboy.

You at doing fine, did you add any k-meta? Iff not do so and leave it sit for three months then rack.

I think it would be better to rack and get off the gross lees now. If you degass now it will clear better and quicker but it needs to be warmer for that to happen. It might not be that gassy anyway after all this time. By all means add Kmeta regardless of what you do next.

If it was mine I would add Kmeta, fining agents and degass after racking. Then age with or without oaking.

OK, my bad, just noticed you already have racked it. Add Kmeta as Julie said it will degas on its own eventually.

You say it was made from a pail of juice but I don't see what kind it was. Being a red did you intend to do a malolactic fermentation on it? Any idea what the pH or TA is on it? It would be easy enough to sulfite it now, but then what you get is what you have right now. If the pH is OK and the TA high and it wasn't highly processed than an MLF might be called for. If you sulfite too heavily now you can't do that. If it was a kit that would be a no brainer but an unknown juice bucket could go either way.

Back