Bulk ageing with an oak spiral

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drez

Reaction score
Picked up an RJ Spagnols "En Primeur Negroamaro Primitivo" a while back. Since it had an infusion oak spiral I didn't include it during the primary phase as I normally would with oak. The instructions were not really clean on how to use such a spiral vs chips so I assumed I was correct in holding it until it was at least in a carboy. It somehow missed the secondary phase, I think I was guessing that it wouldn't be in the secondary very long and the long and short of it is that its been bulk aging with the finished product for some time now. How long can I/should I leave it it? I suspect I should remove it and top up else risk an extremely "oaky" wine? What sort of time frames do you leave these in for and at what stage?
Thanks

Once secondary fermentation is over, you should have the wine topped off always.

The amount of time for the spiral depends on your particular taste for oak.

If you have made a certain wine before and know exactly how long to leave the spiral in it, just repeat. If you are like me and not sure, do a taste test of the wine about once a week. When the oak is as you like it, remove the spiral.

If these spirals are the same as the ones with the RQ's from Spagnols, they are effective for about 3 months or so. They can be placed at any time in the carboy. I used one for 7 weeks in a Trio do Vinho Tinto (RQ) and then transferred it to another wine for some time. It can be rinsed and kept in a freezer too if you might want to use it later for any balance left in it.
As Robie says, test taste it until you like it.
I don't think you could overoak it for the intended level or else they would not have included it, but your oak preference may differ so it's best to test.
If you wish you can tie a piece of thread to it for easy removal.
You can also break it in two and use half and if that is not enough add the other half, depending on how long you are bulk aging.

I have tried these spirals (French Medium Toast) twice and found that there was not enough oak for my tastes. I know some say you can 'over oak' with spirals, but that has not been the case with me. Guess I am a oak monster. I find I have better luck with 2-3 oz. of oak cubes for 5-6 weeks. The cubes are cheaper.

Thanks all

Makes good sense to simply try it and see, just got a little worried as its been in there 3 months but glad to hear there is little risk of over oaking with the spiral, assumed would give off less oak than chips but seeing as it was a first for me was not too sure.

Thought Id update, gave it a sample and really found the oak lacking if anything and I wouldnt say Im an Oak monster either. So figure its safe to keep it bulk aging with the oak for a year or so

Yep, came with the kit although the instructions didnt mention it in specific and talked about oak as though I had shavings or cubes.

Aprox a foot long and an inch thick

Wow, thats a lot of oak. An you say your not an oak monster! Taste it along the way once a month or so just in case.....

Wow, thats a lot of oak. An you say your not an oak monster! Taste it along the way once a month or so just in case.....

I agree - taste along the way - you can always add oak as needed - but you can't remove it.

I agree - taste along the way - you can always add oak as needed - but you can't remove it.

Haha. Touche. Perhaps I shouldn't go overboard. I'll heed your advice and check along as to avoid overshooting my mark but certainly surprised that the spiral didnt add more flavour. I suspect its simply a matter of reduced surface area and nothing more. I will admit they are nice and clean at least...

Latest posts

Back