Bulk Ageing with an Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
After fermentation ends and the wine is degassed, do you leave the airlocks on, or use a solid bung? Is there any benefit to using a solid bung, or is this a personal preference?

Stick with an airlock for several reason. First, you can't really tell fermentation is completed. Beyond that, though, barometric pressure and temperature changes can modestly impact the wine and gas in the carboy. It's best to take no chances.

Stick with an airlock for several reason. First, you can't really tell fermentation is completed. Beyond that, though, barometric pressure and temperature changes can modestly impact the wine and gas in the carboy. It's best to take no chances.

Ditto to that...

Oh, if only life were so simple, OR, somebody here has to be a contrarian. We winter in Florida which means we either solid bung the carboy(s) or make a weekly drive, 1200 miles each direction to check the airlocks. This timing also prevents grape or juice fermentation in the Fall.
I start my higher end kits and pails as soon as I can upon our return in the Spring, gradually changing over to the faster kits and berry wines. Everything is under control by the first week of September. For those carboys -- glass, not Better Bottles -- left over winter for bulk aging, I make duct tape strips, starting with a length of 2 feet or slightly longer, folding it in half reducing the length by one-half, sticky side to sticky side. Make sure the carboy is properly topped off. Insert a solid bung, push it in again as it will attempt to extricate itself as a result of the air pressure, drape the tape over the bung and neck, push the bung in again, install a carboy handle but do not tighten yet, push the bung in once more, pull the ends of the tape down tight, and then tighten the handle.
So far, I have not had a failure using this setup. As good as keeping an eye on an airlock? No. But it is the next best thing for me -- so far!!

Olbuscap, its like my grandpa used to always say... Duct tape can fix anything lol

I guess there's exceptions to every rule. If sealed properly a solid bung could be used, making it into a large wine bottle with cork. I have ne question, Olbuscap. I travel for extended periods and use food-grade glycerine in my 3-piece airlock. Why wouldn't that work for you?

If I had to drive that far I probably would do the same thing, so there is no risk of something coming loose and spilling wine all over my car. Until then, I will stick to a standard airlock.

TonyP,
To be perfectly honest, I have not used glycerin to this point and know virtually nothing about it, composition wise. That said, I would be concerned that over a 6 month period, there would be some amount of evaporation of a liquid. But, I will be happy to learn something, especially since I have no other plans for today. :h

url

I use one of these with 7.5 bung. It will suck all the oxygen and CO2 out of the carboy put a vacuum on. There was a neat article on it in WineMaker magazine a few years ago.

I think that there is a move to using solid airlocks after you have completed fermentation. The thinking is that with a regular airlock, you can get contamination into the wine, especially if you are using regular water. Glycerin is the best to use. I am switching my bulk aging over to solid bungs, since I age my wines for 6-12 months before bottling. I think the key, whichever system you use, is to check your airlock or bung frequently, i.e. at least monthly to make sure everything is OK. So far, using regular airlocks, with water and vodka, I have not had any problems but I am now going to follow WE's recommendation.

"Search" is your friend. I was about to start a new thread but found this thread...

How about Saran Wrap as an airlock for bulk aging? I've twice used Saran Wrap on a carboy while it sits empty in the basement. I do this after cleaning and sanitizing and before its next use to keep dust and such out. I've noticed that the wrap will convex and concave because, I'm guessing, changes in atmospheric pressure. I've only done this twice now and only for a few weeks on a carboy before it gets used again but the seal seems to hold. For longer periods of time maybe mask tape the neck after putting the wrap onto the carboy. Maybe don't stretch the wrap tightly over the opening to allow for greater changes in pressure. Wrap bubbling out would indicate fermentation has started again for whatever reason. What do you guys think? Let me have it, you won't hurt my feelings?

Last edited:
I have been using these waterless airlocks now for 6 months. I was worried that as my wine room warmed from 50 to 73 this morning that the outward pressure might cause them to push out. I'm happy to report that they performed as advertised. I even had to steal some wine in one carboy as expansion increased the volume and the bung was still nice and solid.

check them out, nice people tp deal with. vintable.com

bungs.jpg

I use Star San in my airlocks and it seems to work.

How do these vented bungs work? Is there just a check valve in there that will let it off gas if the carboy is pressurized?

the top part is like an umbrella or flap over the 5 holes that go right to the top. pressure out forces the flap up and is released. suction keeps the flap tight for negative pressure. with negative pressure if you lift up the flap a bit you can hear it equalize. my friend uses them for fermenting but I haven't tried that yet and i like to monitor the bubbles

cheers

I guess there's exceptions to every rule. If sealed properly a solid bung could be used, making it into a large wine bottle with cork. I have ne question, Olbuscap. I travel for extended periods and use food-grade glycerine in my 3-piece airlock. Why wouldn't that work for you?[/QUOTE

How does "food grade" glycerine differ from "medical" glycerine? This is, the glycerine you buy off the shelf at the local pharmacy?
Just curious.

Latest posts

Back