Brew Belt Usage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jody

Reaction score
I am ready to transfer my wine into the secondary fermenter(carboy). I have a Argentina Ridge Chateaux Shiraz kit. I used the brew belt for the fermentation process thus far. I checked the temperature today and it is at 28C/82.4F.

My question is do I continue using the brew belt during the next phase of fermentation in the carboy? And how long do I need the belt? I remember reading I should be used it for degassing.

Take the brew belt off. There is no need to have the wine that warm. Once the fermentation begins, wine will warm up a bit on it's own. What is your ambient temperature?

The ambient temperature is 19C/66.2F. It can dip to 16C/60.8F on colder nights since it is in the basement. We have older style thermostats which seem to have a hard time keeping the basement at a constant temperature.

I should use the belt during primary fermentation though?

And yes we have been out of those Florida temps for a couple months now.

Jody - you can adjust the temperature a bit during belt usage by moving the belt up or down on the bucket or carboy ( lower is warmer) or by putting some wedges under the belt at various locations ( I use clothespin pieces or corks); 23*C or so is a good target temp.

I just put on a white and put a couple corks between the belt and the bucket. Hopefully the temp will be lower now for this batch.

I only have one belt so the red that just got transferred to the carboy is at 17.5C/63.5F. For this kit it was in the primary for a week and now in the carboy for 11 days until de-gassing. I think I will bring the temperature up on the red when it is time to de-gas. Do you think the red will need to be in the carboy longer at this temperature(17.5C/63.5F)? I will have access to the belt again after the white come out of the bucket in a week.

You can also snug the bucket and carboy together and put the belt around both and see what temp you end up with.

Edit - I should also mention that you can cover your carboy with a blanket or something (I use an insulated shirt) and this will help to hold in the heat that is given off by the fermentation process.

Last edited:
The red in the carboy is at 66F without the brew belt. The white in the bucket with the brew belt, with one cork in between the belt and bucket, is at 74F. I could try to double them up. The belt only goes two thirds around the bucket. I am not sure how much surface area I will get using the carboy and the bucket. I have to find a sturdy table to hold both. Will give it a shot. Thanks

If these are kits I would try to keep both around 74* so maybe you should put them both under a big box with the belt around both.

Using the method of wrapping the belt around the bucket(white wine primary fermentation) and the carboy(red secondary fermentation) I have the bucket at 73F and the carboy is 70F. I think the red in the carboy is fine because it is at SG 0.990 at the moment. The white in the bucket seems to be moving along on schedule at 73F

Latest posts

Back