brew belt how to's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
Hey Ben, I have had mine on glass for about three weeks now with no problem. I have them set up on a temperature controller. A bit expensive but it gives them that required off time.
Disclaimer: I am not recommending using them on glass, I think you should always follow the MFG. directions.
smiley4.gif

9a39de77.jpg

I think the main thing is to never put one on a really cold carboy. I think almost all of us have used them on glass in the Winter to keep it warm after fermentation slows down/stops or for degassing and clearing.
If you haven't already done this get a temp strip on the carboy (of sorts) to monitor the temp at a glance.
Also insulate the carboy with a thick beach towel or something similar. The added insulation will keep the carboy warmer for longer periods of time so you can plug it in during the day, and then leave it overnight unplugged and it will stay plenty warm depending on the room temp.

I have been using brew belts on glass for many years now with no problems at all! I agree with IBGlowin though, do not put one of these on a clod carboy or fill a cold carboy with hot water. The last part Ive done and it did crack the carboy and I had to gently rack the hot water and bleach out of there into my sink without moving it at all or I would have really had a mess. It cracked right across the bottom and was ever so slowly leaking on my counter top and floor.

Latest posts

Back