Brandy in a bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoiledRotten

Reaction score
A lady at work heard that I make wine, so she had some questions for me. I gladly accommodated her with that discussion. Well, she moved to making brandy with a "100 year old" recipe. She said you take the peach skins and put them in a jar, bury it 12" deep in the ground, and dig it up 6 weeks later and you have peach brandy. I couldn't help but laugh, but thought I'd see if any of you have ever heard of this.

hmmm,

I think that this will be incredibly bad. Just rotting fruit in a jar buried in the ground?

On average, brandy is usually around 40% alcohol and the most one should expect from natural fermentation is around 18% alcohol. Putting skins in the ground will not do it.

It probably went this way.... They made their peach wine, distilled it, added skins for flavor, then buried that to hide it or allow it to age. She probably only remembers the burying part or the job of digging it up.

There's a guy on youtube that ferments apple peelings and peach peelings with a sugar water in jars in the ground. He calls it "brandy". Here are a couple of his videos:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHged5DTGo[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XutUsWfZB4U[/ame]

in my neck of the woods the old old timers called that squirreling it away, or squirrel wine, cause you bury it like a squirrel bury's nuts for winter time use, but like said they called it squirreling it away or squirrel wine, shoot that brings back memory's from when I sat and listened to the old timers shoot the breeze (lie their asses off) when I was very young, maybe 5 or 6, I still remember some them old timer taking me to their old rotten smoke houses whipping out their knifes and cutting me a chunk and telling me don't tell your mother why your not hungry at the supper table,,, and I never ever told on any of them old farts,,,, god bless them old timers I sure miss that kind of people in this day and age,,,,

in my neck of the woods the old old timers called that squirreling it away, or squirrel wine, cause you bury it like a squirrel bury's nuts for winter time use, but like said they called it squirreling it away or squirrel wine, shoot that brings back memory's from when I sat and listened to the old timers shoot the breeze (lie their asses off) when I was very young, maybe 5 or 6, I still remember some them old timer taking me to their old rotten smoke houses whipping out their knifes and cutting me a chunk and telling me don't tell your mother why your not hungry at the supper table,,, and I never ever told on any of them old farts,,,, god bless them old timers I sure miss that kind of people in this day and age,,,,

Folks like that are still out there, they are just harder to find....

Back