WineXpert Brain Fog!?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Well,,,,,,,,,I had started the South Africa Shiraz January 15th. Being very careful to follow instructions and take my time.

Beingin and out of town on business the last two weeks, my brain must have been in a fog!

Iwent from the primary fermentation tothe second stage, of racking to the carboy on January 21st. Instructions tell me to wait(10) days and check the S.G on two consecutive days. If the same S.G. go onto the third stage of adding the additional ingredients (package #2, #3, #4, metabisulphite, sorbate, chitosan).

I checked the S.G. these two days (25-26). The S.G was and is .980 for these two days. Seemed terribly low!???

Now that I'm finished with adding all ingredients, actually looking at my records I might have messed up.

Room stays at 62 degrees.

The starting date was January 15th with a S.G of 1.089, temp 65. ( instruction say it should be 1.092-1.098) (heat belt/wrap was on the bucket)

Stage two racking into carboy January 21st S.G. 1.004 temp 70. (kept the heating belt on the carboy until husband unplugged it January 24th making the statement the action in the carboy had diminished)

Stage three January 25th S.G. .098 temp 62, January 26th S.G. .098 Temp 62.

Does this seem right to you? Actually it should have gone until January 31st.

Does anyone for-see any problems?

Just plain tired!
smiley12.gif

I would just leave it a couple more days, take another SG reading and see if it drops any lower. I think you will be fine though.

I would try stirring it up and taking another reading. Check the
hydrometer reading in water to see what it reads.to see if it is still
accurate. I forget what it is supposed to read in water. I think its
1.000 though.

If the S.G. was .098 when you stabilized and not .980, you're good to go. Don't know if it was a typo on the computer or a miss print in your notes? Be on the road can wear a person down; can't it. Look over your notes and give us an update.

I cant wait for your repost. Has anyone ever had a batch ferment this
low. The lowest any of mine have ever gone was 0.992. 0.980 will suck
the liquid right off your tongue I would imagine, like drinking air!

I just stabilized my SA Shiraz yesterday, but my final reading was closer to .090.

Some of the variation inSG is in how we read the hydrometer and this diagram and instruction should help:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
hydrometer-closeup.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2>
How To Use The Hydrometer
It's really pretty easy to use the hydrometer; just follow these simple steps:

1. <LI>Sanitize the hydrometer, wine thief, and test jar.
    <LI>Place test cylinder on flat surface.
    <LI>Draw a sample of "clean" must or wine with the wine thief - avoid testing samples that contain solid particles, since this will affect the readings.
    <LI>Fill the test jar with enough liquid to just float the hydrometer - about 80% full.
    <LI>Gently lower the hydrometer into the test jar; spin the hydrometer as you release it, so no bubbles stick to the bottom of the hydrometer (this can also affect readings).
    <LI>Making sure the hydrometer isn't touching the sides of the test jar and is floating freely, take a reading across the bottom of the meniscus (see diagram to the left). Meniscus is a fancy word for the curved surface of the liquid.
    <LI>Be sure to take good records of your readings! </LI>
That's it! Pretty simple, huh?</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Good morning! Thank you all for your help. I'm sure I have misread my readings, and like wade said, that is going to take the liquid off a persons tongue.
I recently purchased two hydrometers from George; I took wades advise and checked them with water, and both read 1.000. So, I took a reading today again from the wine and got .992 for an S.G. and temperature of 60 degrees. That sounds better!

Masta, according to the sheet that came with my hydrometers it shows a picture of an eye reading the upper meniscus, or upper part of the liquid.

One more thing! I really feel stupid on this one, but where are everyone reaching the .090 readings.
Am I reading my numbers wrong? The hydrometer that I am reading reads: -----0.990-----1.000-----1.010-----1.020-----etc. It has the potential alcohol, balling, and also has a thermometer at the bottom for temperature readings. The clipping of instructions are with it and seems pretty easy.
So I read it as .980, .982, .984, .986, .988, .990, .992, .994, .996, .998, .1.000, 1.002, 1.004, 1.006, 1.008, 1.010 and so forth.

Maybe to much traveling, not enough sleep, and full capacity in the brain area not being able to unscramble any more thoughts. Brain dead!
smiley11.gif

Angel wine had .098 and Francie had .090 in the above discussions. That is why I thought I was missing something.

js, I'm possitive that those are type O's! Angelwine probably meant
.980 which I think still to be wrong cause that is very low and
probably .998 and Francie probably meant .990!

Wade is correct in that a SG reading of 0.090 or 0.098 is impossible since the specific gravity of pure ethanol is 0.789. It is a matter of placing the zero in the proper place in relationship to the decimal point and I try not to correct folks too much on this and usually we know what you are saying.

jsmahoney your latest reading of your batch at 0.992 @ 60 F is perfect for a completely fermented batch. I would follow the instructions that came with the Hydrometer since I would hope the person that wrote them knew what they were talking about. Sometimes we can get too technical about wine making and I might be guilty of this more than anyone but don't do it on purpose to confuse you but just trying to provide accurate info.

That being said here is some more info from a hydrometer manufacturer and their tips on reading it correctly.
smiley2.gif

The surface tension of the liquid can affect the hydrometer indication. The liquid for which a hydrometer is intended must be specified since readings will vary in liquids having the same density but different surface tensions.

Observe a point below the plane of the liquid surface and then raise the line of vision until this surface, seen as an ellipse, becomes a straight line. The point where this line cuts the hydrometer is the reading of the instrument.

Edited by: masta

I guess I've always been one to want to do it right. Do it right the first time, and you don't have to worry about fixing it later. No, Masta I do appreciate your input and I don't consider you to technical. I want the information and try and input it into my wine education! Pictures say a thousand words, and help out a lot!

Wade I thought those to be type O's also, but I guess I thought I was just missing something!

I guess I just worry to much! Thanks again for all your help and information! I appreciate it all!

Yea those where typo's. Sorry about the confession. Between getting 1099's out and bidding two jobs, too many numbers where swimming in my head. My own brain fog. Again I apologize for my mistake.

Hey Angell Wine, I just appreciate the help!I too know how numbers get to swimming in a persons head. Numbers are not my cup of tea.Now PeterZ he is way beyond my number calculations. But I sure enjoy reading his material.

I've always been good with numbers. Probably comes from my Dad making me work it out in my head. He probably started that when I was in 1st grade!! I hated it then, but I am oh so greatful now.

It has nothing to do with intelligence, it's all about practice. Trust me.

OK! I really lack in the number category! That is my down fall on my resume! But, I have worked recently to advance myself with numbers. Yet, I have a long way to go. Yes, you are right also, Practice, Practice, Practice.
smiley29.gif

In one of the previous posts ..Just to clarify that when reading the hydrometer you read the lowest point .. You do this with any type of liquid. We use this method in Nursing also....Just a public service message! haha Great post guys!
smiley17.gif

Back