Boun Vino Minijet (First Use - Failure)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have used the gravity filter twice and it worked perfectly! The wine started very clear and ended up very nicely"polished" see my previous post on the filter.
The time it took the complete the filtering was reasonable (about 10 mins for 3 gals) and the filter was slowing down at the end even with very clear wine to begin with. There is more suspended in the wine than you think.

Look at the recipes for making fruit wine they usally say to rack every couple months until clear. Ive never made a fresh fruit kit yet but i believe that process alone could take6 months or longer to clear your wine.

Ive found that George is VERY easy to work with on correcting problems with a product.

Be patient and let the wine do its thing.

The apple wine is almost a year old and is still cloudy. It has been fined with bentonite and, later, sparkalloid. The peach isn't that old--it is getting close to 6 months.

I didn't purchase the Minijet from George that was what his offer so extraordinary.

As I said earlier, I plan to try the #1 filter and see how that works.

Thanks for the feedback.Edited by: Smokegrub

You might try some Pectic Enzyme to help clear them up

Smurfe, that's a great idea, but I did that in the recipe and then I added more about 2 months ago.Edited by: Smokegrub

Smoke,

Which POTW? The biggest I ever ran polymer trials at was DC, back in 1984. I also competed in San Antonio, TX and Memphis, TN, both pretty big. If I had landed DC I could have bought a mansion on my share of the profits for cash.

The Hampton Roads Sanitation District in southeastern Virginia. We served approximately 1.5 million in 17 political jurisdictions covering 3700 square miles. Before that I managed the Water Quality Department for 20 years. That included a very large lab, an industrial waste division and the technical services division (research, special studies, permit negotiations and reporting). And before that I was a biologist with the DEQ.

As someone experienced with polymers you are no doubt our settling expert. That is an area where I am in definite need of help!

My career was fun and rewarding but not nearly as much fun and rewarding as making wine!

I look forward to continuing to learn you and the others who frequent this site.

The peach had cleared enough that I tried the #2 filter this AM. It worked! Now I will let it rest for 24 hours or so and bottle. I will probably glare at every glass of this stuff as I drink it! The acid test for the filter will occur next week when I tackle the apple with the #1 filter.

Fruit wines are harder to filter than Kits. Just more invisible junk in the wine than you think. Start with the #1 or course pad first , if you are planing on doing 2 or more batch's filter all the batch's with the #1 then follow up with the #2. Also put a 1 gallon zip lock bag over the filters so when you get that unexpected spray, it want go everywhere. Wisdom comes fromexperience and experience comes from flooding the kitchen floor.

: )

Sounds like great advice. The peach finally cleared and I filtered it wiith a #2 yesterday. Today it's in the bottle! I may glare at every glass! Now, I will take on an apple that I haven't been able to clear.

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you use the SuperKleer to clear it and how long if so did it take for that to work?

No, I actually used Sparkalloid. I now have 3 packets of the Superkleer on hand so I will try it on the apple when we get to the mountains this Sunday. If it will clesar the apple, it will clear anything.

By the way, we had a bottle of the peach this evening. It wasn't bad at all. It was made with Welch's Peach Grape and backsweetened with same, some sugar and flavored with Carlson's peach flavoring. It is now headed to the cellar for aging a few months in the bottle.

I don't know what the problem is with the apple. When I was in HS in MA I worked in a cider mill. We cider makers would take a gallon and put it in the closet, and drink it the next weekend. No pitching yeast, no degassing, no clarification. Seemed OK to us.
smiley36.gif

The wine had cleared! It has at least an inch and a half of light, fluffy looking lees. I will rack it again. The solution to my wine clearing issues--buy a Minijet and then you will not need it any more!

Back