Vinbrite Gravity Filter Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I received an interesting PM that I thought I'd share with all of you. It's a very valid question, and I hope I could answer it correctly. I have no experience with the mini-jet, and I am sure it's the better system, but here are the initial questions and responses.... Please feel free to add some comments or suggestions that I may have forgotten to add.....

<DIV =quotetop>Martina,
I understand you use the Vinbrite filter system to filter your wines? I've got a VB mini jet filter that I've been using for my large batches (6 gallons), but think it's overkill for my small 1 gallon batches of wines. so, was thinking about the Vinbrite gravity filter for these smaller batches. Any thoughts? I know that I'll have to buy filter pads for either one, so maybe the cost would be the same, and I'd end up using the minijet anyhow. Thanks for any advice.

I would probably save the extra money and use your mini-jet even for the 1 gallon batches. It's quicker, and if you rinse somewhat with sulfite solution in between batches, you might even be able to get away with using the same filter-pad for more than one batch. This is pretty unorthodox advice I'm giving you, and probably a lot of people on the forum would very much disagree with me (says that residual taste could impart on the next wine filtered), but I have done it without major adverse effects.

If you make wine-blends, for example: Apple, cranberry, and apple-cranberry -- this would be no problem to use the same filter pad whatsoever, I would think. I did make a hard lemonade from concentrate, and just prior to filtering that, I filtered a dark red wine (sorry, I don't remember exactly). What I did find was that the hard lemonade had a pink hue to it, but nothing of the taste of the other wine. So, if you do decide to filter more than one wine with one filter-pad, I would first do the whites and then the reds.

The vinbrite gravity filter is a great filter. It was relatively low in cost and the filter pads are much cheaper than on the mini-jet. You only need one pad for each filtering process, and a package of 6 was recently for sale on the internet for 6.50. That's just few cents over a buck. 1.50 if you count shipping. The cheapest mini-jet filters I have seen were like 3 bucks, and I think you need 2 (not sure, because I don't have that filtering system). The down side of the gravity filter is that it takes quite a long time to filter out a wine that has a lot of particles in it. 6 gallons could be a 2 hour process, which is probably something you don't want your wine to be exposed to. And as you said, you only wanted it on 1-gallon batches, so I would think it would be fine. The time spent filtering is basically dependent on how clear your wine is to begin with.

So, my thoughts? It's the right filter for me for many reasons. But if it's right for you is another thing. Since you have the mini-jet, I'd stick to that. I have heard great things about it, and it seems like a time-saving investment, and as we know, time is money.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more decisive about my answer, but it's hard to say.

Thanks for asking! If I can be of any other help, please let me know!

<DIV =quotetop>Martina,
With the Mini Jet, you have to use a set of 3 pads, and each set is typically ~ $3. I agree with you, if I can somehow time my batches so I'm filtering more than one gallon at a time, then I'll likely use the mini jet. Each set of pads is supposedly good for up to 6 gallons.

For the Vinbrite, I see that you can get a pack of 6 Crystalbrite filter pads (typically for $12), or a pack of 48 Vin paper, what's the difference? Do you use both, or just use the paper if you want to filter out chunks, then use the filter pad to do the polishing?

Thanks for the info.

I would definitely stay with the mini-jet if you can. My opinion, but you might want to experiment with other options.

http://www.brewcitysupplies.com/57/168.htm?488
Is the link where you can get the filter pads (6 of them) for 6.50.

The paper you can forget. The pads do such a good job (for me at least), that you don't need the paper. The paper is to filter out the filter residue, which is none, in my opinion. I bought them once by mistake, thinking, "Yeah, my wines are pretty clear, so a very large-pored filter should do the trick"... WRONG.... The paper is to catch the supposed debris that falls from the filter pad (like I said, there is none, in my opinion).

I like this filter for its simplicity. You stick the pad in, screw the bottom part, and siphon as normal. One gallon could take up to 1/2 an hour, but as little as 5 minutes if it's very clear to begin with. It's all about the particles that you've got in your wine. Since I'm impatient, I've got a lot of particles.
wink.gif

Unfortunately, filtering the "chunks" is not wise with the vinbrite. It would just simply take way too long. You should let those chunks fall down with time. I know it's hard, especially since you are new to winemaking. I'm in this hobby for 3+ years, and it's still hard. Just get new wines going, and forget about the chunky ones for a while.
wink.gif
Put them in a cabinet if you have to. Check on them about once a month, and rack if you see the sediment at the bottom. Those are the chunks that fall down. I am quick to bottle, but I also know that 2-3 months AT LEAST after fermentation has died down, you have to wait. Preferably longer. So far, I'm at my best: 4-5 months in the carboy before bottling. Some earlier, some later. It also depends on my bottle situation (I never have enough!!!).

The vinbrite filter, since it is gravity-driven, works this way: The more sediment you have, the more barriers (over time) the fluid has to get through to get to your carboy/receiving vessel. That means:

6 gallons (low sediment): not too bad, but sediment builds up over time, which means a bigger barrier to go through.
1 gallon (high sediment): ditto
1 gallon (low sediment): pretty quick. Possible reuse of the filter, but beware of the amount of sediment on the filter pad.
6 gallon (high sediment): Yikes, don't do it. I spent 4 hours once filtering a wine, which kind of looked clear, but I couldn't wait. I replaced the filter with a new one mid-filtering.

I will post this on the forum for everyone to read. I hope I have answered your questions. If not, let me know, I'm more than glad to help.
smile.gif

Martina

Martina,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I think your responses were excellent. If the wine is clear before filtering, the mini-jet is capable of filtering more than 6 gallons with one set of pads. I have heard of some winemakers filtering 12 or more gallons through a single set of pads. Since bulk aging will allow the wine to clear, waiting until there are 5 to 9 gallons to filter during a session would seem to be a good solution. The key is to only filter a wine that looks like it doesn’t need to be filtered.

I've filtered 12 gallons through a single set of pads in a Mini-Jet with no problems if the wine is clear before you filter. I did an Orchard Breezin Strawberry Reisling and a White Zin with same pads. Of course I did the white first, then the blush after and the pads were not plugged up but were close to getting there. Both batches were crystal after that and very bright.

edit: Of course I would never getthat much through a set of pads if it was a big red type wine. For reds, I limit the filter usage to only 6 gallons.Edited by: Dean

I agree with Joseph and Dean. Go from lighter to darker if filtering more than 1 batch.

Thank you all for your responses. I am sure this message will get to the right person.
smiley1.gif

I hate to give advice about something I have not used myself. But since I always hear such wonderous things about the minijet, I could only suggest this person uses it.

Jealousy kicks in!!!
smiley2.gif

Martina

Since you leave a little bit of wine behind everytime you rack, do any of you think that by using a filter after the first 'big racking' you will end up with more finished product (even if it is only a bottle or so)?

Filtering is about the last thing you want to do to your wine before bottling it
(well, you can continue bulk aging it if you want.) I don't think you want to
filter after racking off gross lees - there is too much sediment still in the
wine and you'll clog up something wicked. Or did I misunderstand your
question?

No, I think you got it. I was thinking... rack it twice then filter. You could have it done in less than a month (at least in a bottle).

Back