Bottling Day Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravelloview

Junior
Reaction score
Have 3 carboys to bottle this weekend and all 3 are topped off with marbles. Just wondering if the optimal way to do it is to siphon wine into a clean and sanitized carboy without the marbles and then bottle each one immediately. Each carboy has been racked once before. There should be little if any sediment but I feel this would be the "cleanest" way to do it. Thanks for any help

That's what I would do. There may be some very light sediment in those carboys that you're not seeing. I'd prefer to rack out and bottle from a clean carboy.

Yep, if there is sediment in the current carboy, I would rack it to a clean carboy. Less likely to get sediment in your bottles.

I would do the same as the others mentioned. If you do have sediment in the bottom them I would keep the hose an inch or two off the bottom. Then very carefully rack those last few inches into another small jug trying to avoid the sediment. If you do accidently get into it, you only have maybe a half gallon to deal with instead of messing up an entire carboy again. If you didn't pick any up then you can add this into the rest of the batch.

Good plan. You can save the last little bit in the small jar; let it settle a day or two and the top will be nice, shinny, clean wine you can (a), sample or (b), put it into a smaller split. I would choose (a) - sample! :dg

Latest posts

Back