Bottling bucket vs (siphon) wand

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katmike57

Junior
Reaction score
So I initially bottled using a wand from a carboy using a siphon system and just found it messy and awkward. After several "messes" I abandoned and now lately I've been bottling directly from the spigot of a bottling bucket into bottles (no wand).

Now after viewing the bottling process video (4 of 4) from Label Peelers, I questioning my decision for abonding the wand/siphon. In their vid, they use the wand and connect to a bottling bucket spigot (instead of bottling direct into the bottle from the spigot like me). What's the logic with using a wand if you already have a nice spigot that fts inside a bottle? Is it simply a means to avoid any additional O2?

So I initially bottled using a wand from a carboy using a siphon system and just found it messy and awkward. After several "messes" I abandoned and now lately I've been bottling directly from the spigot of a bottling bucket into bottles (no wand).

Now after viewing the bottling process video (4 of 4) from Label Peelers, I questioning my decision for abonding the wand/siphon. In their vid, they use the wand and connect to a bottling bucket spigot (instead of bottling direct into the bottle from the spigot like me). What's the logic with using a wand if you already have a nice spigot that fts inside a bottle? Is it simply a means to avoid any additional O2?

I used to use the wand attached to the spigot. I stopped and just bottle from the spigot directly now. The wand didn't help much, and was a pain on punted bottles.

I agree with @NorCal, the tiny amount of additional O2 is unlikely to make any difference.

My filler tubes are literally decades old and still work, but the pin is very short, and like @sour_grapes's said, it's a PITA for punted bottles. I was going to buy a Buon Vino bottle filler, but now I'm wondering if I should simply buy another bucket with a spout. As long as the spout doesn't leak, the bucket is useful year round while the filler is useful only at bottling ...

Last edited:
I have in the past used the Ferrari Automatic Wine Bottle Filler, very inexpensive (under $20), you start a siphon or attach a hose to it and your bottling bucket. The nicest thing about it, nothing to depress to start it filling and it automatically shuts off at the proper fill level. It makes it so that my wife and I can sample while we bottle, just a little bit and not worry, if we get occupied and forget to look at what's going on or the grandkids help us.

Here is one place to buy it from, I am certain there are other places:

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ferrari-automatic-bottle-filler

I have in the past used the Ferrari Automatic Wine Bottle Filler, very inexpensive (under $20), you start a siphon or attach a hose to it and your bottling bucket. The nicest thing about it, nothing to depress to start it filling and it automatically shuts off at the proper fill level. It makes it so that my wife and I can sample while we bottle, just a little bit and not worry, if we get occupied and forget to look at what's going on or the grandkids help us.

Here is one place to buy it from, I am certain there are other places:

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ferrari-automatic-bottle-filler
I went to the link to buy the Ferrari filler, but as I read the reviews, a lot of people have issues with it leaking or spitting wine. Have you figured out why this happens, or have you experienced the leaking?

I have used the ferrari with some mixed results. It is a pain if you need to change the bottle sizes (say from the 375ml bottle to the 750ml bottle). It also can be a pain if it is not seated in the bottle correctly. I think it might be easier to have one ferrari for each size bottle you use (at 20 having a few is not a big deal). Then you dont need to keep watch incase you miss judged the adjustment from one size to the other.

I started out using the wand, but when I purchased the AIO from Steve it changed from the messy, inconsistent process, to fast and easy. I can control everything from fill speed to amount, just set and go! No risk or exposure to O2 either. The hardest thing is remembering that the bottles need to be higher than the Carboy ! Much easier on the back as well 👌
1631199869362.jpeg

I started out using the wand, but when I purchased the AIO from Steve it changed from the messy, inconsistent process, to fast and easy. I can control everything from fill speed to amount, just set and go! No risk or exposure to O2 either. The hardest thing is remembering that the bottles need to be higher than the Carboy ! Much easier on the back as well 👌
View attachment 78592
Yep, the AIO bottle filler makes bottling quick and easy. Plus, you can control the flow rate and also they won't overfill (although if you don't pay attention you lose wine to the overflow bottle - that may or may not be personal experience :ib).

I went to the link to buy the Ferrari filler, but as I read the reviews, a lot of people have issues with it leaking or spitting wine. Have you figured out why this happens, or have you experienced the leaking?

Yes, it spits a little bit, but never enough to bother my wife or I, it isn't a major deal-breaker for us. Haven't ever encountered the leaking issue, not sure what that would be. For me, at the price point, I tried it and liked it. I can blow $20 with little thought.

I bought a load of used winery (personal winery) equipment and received three Ferrari fillers. I was thrilled even though one seemed broken. I managed to use one to fill a five gallon batch of beer without issue. The next time I tried to use both the unbroken fillers with a 15 gallon batch of wine. Both fillers ended up failing in the process. I won't be bothering again with the Ferrari. I'm on the hunt for a better filler; 3 or 6 bottle would be nice but I have little patience with leaks and failures.

I made a counter pressure (vacuum) bottle filler out of PVC fittings and an old suction unit, which worked well for quite some time but for small batches. I really liked the idea and wanted to make one out of curiosity and desire to figure it out and make something myself with what I had laying around.

Then I started using a small wine pump (anti-gravity transfer pump from Northern Brewer) and use that now with good success. Of course these are small batches (5-6 gallons at a time) so it's not terribly labor intensive. The pump is much quieter than my vacuum model. I just have to pay attention and time turning if off and on.

I'm pretty interested in a multi-filler, that will probably be next. And I'll probably try to make one unless there's a good deal on one out there... LOL

I use the wand and I've managed to lick the problem with punted bottles although they are a pain sometimes.
What is nice about the wand is I can let the bottle fill to the brim and then when I remove the wand the level is just about perfect.
Starting the flow is the big issue for me with a wand. I guess that if I had a spigot bucket then that would be solved.

One thing I hate about spigots, hoses, filler wands and the pump/siphon is cleaning. To me the simpler the better and that would be one reason I don't like any sort of spigot/valve mechanism - getting it truly clean. I even cut my tubing to the length that allows my smallest tubing brush to reach a little over half way when cleaning the tubing - and it DOES make a difference.

From the sound of things, it's what works best for you and remember, you can end up spending a bundle and still never find the perfect solution.

I like the wand set up personally. A trick with the punts is to upgrade to the 1/2 inch siphon tube and wand. If fills faster and the punt isn’t an issue. It does 375ml and 200ml bottles with no problem. I do spurge with argon 1st as well.

I get the set up started with argon pressure and one of those carboy blowoff hoods. You need to have the wand activated to get it started.

I have been thinking about getting an all in one wine pump though.

Here's my vacuum DIY version 2.0 ~ I drilled two holes in a stopper and through one is a suction tubing and the other a SS pipe. The position of the stopper along the pipe determines the level of wine in the bottle. Attached to the suction tubing is a Neotech Suction trap over which you can hold your thumb and control the pressure. Version 1.0 is the last picture. That thing was huge. It did work though.

To be completely honest and true, this is a DIY of Steve's All In One Wine Pump design. I just don't have the dough but did have all these parts. @vacuumpumpman kudos to you and your product...! If you get the chance to go that route definitely give it a try.

I also tried using a small transfer pump and a wand, but the pressure from the pump was too much and overcame the valve tip of the wand blowing it into the bottle when I pulled it out. That was exciting... LOL

Seriously though, using the All In One for, well, everything (transfer, degass, bottle filling, filtering...) is a great way to go.

IMG_0874.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0872.jpg

Latest posts

Back