Bottling alternative?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Reaction score
My apologies in advance if this subject has been touched upon.

I love the winemaking process, but the bottling seems so time consuming when a couple drinks 5-10 bottles a week.

Is there a better alternative method? a wine keg sort of thing?

<t></t><table id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5210 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C5210_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Wine On Tap

Alternative to bottling.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$23.99</td></tr></t></table>

Or you can do the 1/2 or 1 gallon jugs.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5188B </td>
%5Cimages%5C2203_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Clear 1/2 Gallon Glass Jug

Uses a size #6 stopper.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$3.49</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5190A </td>
%5Cimages%5C2203_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Clear Gallon Jug glass with resealable screw cap

Uses a size #6 stopper.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$5.49</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>

A gallon jug holds about 5 bottles of wine - if you go through 5-10 bottles a week, the wine won't be sitting exposed to the air so long to get affected - more like letting it breathe - but...

* You could put a mini carboy cover (aka t-shirt) over the jug,
* use a
vacuvin stopper (if they are big enough)
* or get some Private Preserve
(http://winepreserve.com - some brew stores carry, I don't think
FineVineWines carries this yet though).

though for the price of a few bottles of Private Preserve, you could do the wine-on-tap - you can get refill bags for that too.

You have a pretty heavy cork habit...Gallon jugs should work for you, just keep them in the dark someplace.

They sell new steel or plastic screw tops for gallon and 4 liter jugs, they work real good on Carlo Rossi jugs [4L].

You should be able to find jugs at recycling centers, buy them new, or drink some Carlo Rossi and save the jugs.

You must be making a fair amount of wines....
What do you have fermenting????

10 bottles a week!

Thats kinda close to what we go thru here.

How much "finished" wine do you have?

Better yet.. How much do you make? Whats aging now

Unless you plan on drinkng the same wine all the time I would still use wine bottles and cork them. Using the floor model corker is easy and fast. By using wine bottles and making a good selection of wines, you can drink a variety of wines every day depending on your meals and tastes for the day. If you use gallon jugs, you will be drinking the same wine several days in a row and they will be oxidizing some in that length of time. I have a selection of about 50 wines and add to it all the time. I can usually find one that suites everyone's personal taste.

I second what appleman has said. Corking is the best way to go and gives you options on which wine to drink every day. Like appleman, I have close to 50 different wines in my cellar. It is a lot of fun choosing which wine to drink each day.

Have you thought of bottling in 1.5ml bottles instead of the 750ml?

Pelican,

T-shirt is an excellent idea - I saw them on eBay for cheap - I will look for them on George's site as well.

The Private Preserve looks expensive and cumbersome.

The VacuVin is cool - I got one of those with a Meat Marinator for Christmas, so I just bought "corks" and Voila - pop the wine, marinate the meat, seal it all back up.

smiley17.gif

Thanks for the tips.

Northern,

I just started from a gift from Christmas. I don't have a clue what I am doing, but I put Bocelli on real loud, pour a glass of Cab and start making wine. The music and cab makes me feel smart.
smiley4.gif

I did a Wine Expert Selection Intl. French Cab that I bottled and we are going through it - fast - too many good friends.
smiley9.gif

I am clarifying a Vintner's Reserve Riesling for my honey - she loves Rieslings.

I just 2nd ferm the last kit a Vintner's Reserve White Zin for Sangria this summer.

That is what I got going. any tips, tricks or suggestions? Good thing with me, I always jump on it and do it - I'll try anything 4 or 5 times.
smiley17.gif

Thank you.

Tepe, Apple and Geo,

Good input. Yes, I think the floor corker will help - I'll get that on my next order - which needs to be soon - got that Riesling coming on.

It was just frustrating, it takes weeks to make, hours of time, I did that dan*, frikk%# hand corker thing - got me sweating!!! Then I pour three glasses and its gone.
smiley5.gif

You know the Kegerator, I felt like I needed a Winerator!
smiley36.gif

George, I would love to do the 1.5 bottles, but they are so dang expensive....

Thank you guys for all the help - it really makes a difference having a brain trust to help out.

Brad Simmons

The 1.5 are so expensive because they contain more glass and the demand for them in wine making is relatively small compared to the standard 750 ml. More volume = lower price. Low volume = higher price.

The 750's out sell the 1.5 by 300 to 1. Until that fact changes, they will remain relatively high.

kylandsales.com

Try some restaurants near you. I know alot use the 1.5ml. Go trash picking or ck recycle ctrs if you have any

I know I push aside tons of those 1.5 bottles to get at the 750 at my recycling center.

I hear ya George. Not trying to be cheap, I would just rather have more in the budget for wine!

Tepe, good idea - I will do just that. I just put an ad up on Craig's List for bottles - see what happens.

and I would rather sell wine kits than bottles, so I do understand.

Here's a little tip. Start asking your friends to save their wine bottles for you. You will be surprised at how much wine they drink and if you get lucky, you will find someone that knocks down a 1.5 every night. I did. It was my wife's boss. We finally quit asking for wine bottles from them!

now that's funny! I'll do it.

any secrets for easy label removal? I do beer as well - and that can be a time.

There are no secrets for label removing. Some come off easily and some are "welded on". We use a razor blade and steel wool for the difficult labels.

Back