bottle fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew1

Reaction score
I made some from juice that were started in May and bottled in January, Malbec, Carmenere and Cab Sav. they were fine in January and February but now in May they have developed carbonation. i assume it is MLF that took place in the bottle due to the cold temps that were around this winter. if i shake it up and let the bubbles dissipate the wine is still very good. how can i avoid this and what is the best way to fix it?

Why do you think MLF. Has started? What was your ending hydrometer reading, did you use sulfites and did you degass?

It was an assumption. What else would cause fermentation in the bottle to start 3 months after bottling. My basement got cold 56-57 degrees. I think it may have slowed the MLF and it restarted when the bottles warmed up.

if the wine never finished fermentation in the first place, if you backsweetened without stabilizing, if you did not degass, all of these would cause carbonation in the bottle. Did you take any hydrometer readings?

The carbonation could also be just CO2. Wines like the ones you made need at least 1 year in bulk aging---possibly even 1 1/2 years and then 1 year and more of bottle aging to really bring the flavor forward. Big reds like that shouldn't be bottled in 8 months. In the past, we've bottled some things just shy of 1 year and had CO2 problems. We now let everything bulk age properly and never have this issue anymore.

That my be my issue too. I made a vintners reserve Cabernet sauvignon. Started on 11/25/13 bottled on 1/19/14. I haven't had issues with corks popping but I've tried a few bottles and when I decant or pour a glass I do get a bunch if bubbles coming out of solution. I did degass(maybe not fully) and it did ferment all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

LOL,,, This thread ties with the "do I need to Sorbate" and can answer a lot of questions...

My problem doesn't have to do with sorbate. I made a kit and added the sorbate. I think I may have not fully degassed it. It was only my second kit. That begs the question will the wine age properly if not fully degassed? Also it is pretty clear so not sure.

The increase in ambient temperature may be helping release the CO2 that was still absorbed in the liquid while it was cooler. Your wine may not be refermenting as much as it is unable to hold the amount of CO2 in the liquid. I would be a little concerned that you might find that your corks will begin to pop. Not sure if everyone here would agree but I would suggest that you consider transferring the wine back to the carboy and see if you can remove some more of the CO2 without aerating your wine.

I thought it had more to do with the room temp that additives. Thanks for the tips. I am going to pit it in the carboy and try to degas it a little.

Bulk aging for enough time will remove all the CO2. However, if you have it aging in a very cool place, it may delay the CO2 coming out of the wine. Storage temp of 60 degrees is good.

Back