bottle color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is bottle color a big deal,
I mean in the aspect of I've been buying a very dark olive green punted screw top bottles. I have 38 gallons of different wines and thinking about using these on my white just like my reds, I know I'll not get that wow flavor look, but all I'm aiming for is taste. all my wines are grown on my land different types of fruits and different types of berries , except the yellow delicious apples and granny smiths I use in my blended white I trade farm fresh eggs to my (Niebuhor) cant spell,,,, and he gives me all his apples in the fall.:sm
I've never tried and kits or grape, someday I will because I've planted 2 types of muscadine one my new grape vine the only ones that didn't die was my Baltic grapes so next spring I'll need to plant some pollinators for them, although I do have some wide possum grapes but I don't know if they will pollinate my Baltic's, anyway I'm sure you've noticed how simple minded I is:sm thank you in advance for your thoughts on this:sm

The wine doesn't care. Particularly going the way you are, white in a dark bottle. There is an old German winemaker here in MO who believes all wine belongs in dark green bottles.

Now the screw top. Corks don't quite cut in screw top openings, they are just a bit larger than non-screwtops. The glass is a bit thinner, which can lead to easier breaking.

Light damages wine (and thus ages it) by encouraging unwanted chemical reactions, particularly ultraviolet light. Clear glass stops a tiny bit of UV light while green does better and dark amber glass stops nearly all ultra violet light. So, wine will last the longest in dark glass. White wine is usually packaged in lighter-colored glass to show off its pale color. In the short-term it does not have much of an effect so I don't worry about it; especially because there are no windows near my wines anyway. Here is a link to a very thorough PDF on the subject:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=fXtCp64Kci7mMaGGJ5Qt3Q&bvm=bv.95039771,d.b2w

I agree with cmason1957 about the screw tops; these will have a much bigger effect on your wines since used screw tops have a poor seal and are not designed to accept corks. I recommend switching to corked bottles if you want your wines to last longer.

screw top finish

on my screw top they are not commercial type
these use a poly cone seal, I only use new caps,
if I find I don't like them then I will restock with cork finish bottles
but i'll never know for myself if I don't try,
after a year bulk aging I plan on 80% aging 5 to 10 year,
wont be hard since I cant seem to get a carboy empty mush past cleaning it.:sm

Latest posts

Back