bottle color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
getting ready to order some bottles and was wondering what color to go with, the wine is a Gewürztraminer and the other is a Riesling

Thanks for your feedback ... this will be my first bottling

Bottle color is totally your choice. Proper storage (cool, dark, even temps, little vibration) will have a much greater impact on how your wine ages.

The whites will show a more true color in clear. With a red in a clear you might see more sediment.

I scored a great deal on antique green & brown bottles ($4 a case, new in box) so for the next year or two it will be green or brown

Dennis

Clear for whites as it makes a better presentation. But I use what I have. You will not get points off if you enter a white wine in a coloredbottle in a competition.LOL

What ever I have on hand, except for gifts then I go for a nice presentation.

IF you're buying bottles try some blue for the reisling. Also, get some 375ml bottles. Be creative. I recently bought two cases of red bottles for the Red Mountain Cabernet that is aging.

Most of us get our bottles from the recycle bin and just bottle with what we have. White wines in clear bottles and red wines in green bottles is very traditional but there are no wine bottle police to enforce any rules.

Wayne

My whites are going in a blue transition California Hock style bottle this year. It is basically off flint (clear with a tinge of a blue hue). They really bring out the sparkle in the whites and look great too. These are end of run bottles when changing from the blue to the flint(clear).

The greens are going into a traditional bordeaux bottle in transition green- a bit lighter than the dark ones. I got the skid of them (112 cases) at a hair over $5 a case.

The greens</font> are going into a traditional bordeaux bottle in transition green- a bit lighter than the dark ones. I got the skid of them (112 cases) at a hair over $5 a case.[/QUOTE]

Hey appleman, did you ferment some green wine?
smiley36.gif

Darned if I know, Tom. If I wrote green wine, it was a miscommunication between the mind and fingers typing it in. It should have been red wines in green bottles.

The green wine could have been Mrs. Pelican's Pea Pod Wine.

Back