Quantcast

Bottle Aging

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Donz

Reaction score
I have noticed some significant differences and improvements aging my wines in bottle for a significant amount of time after barrel aging. On a regular basis, I empty my barrels, bottle immediately and drink. This method produces a wine that still has very strong aromas and heavy nose. On the other hand, I have stored bottles in my cellar laying flat, bottle aging for a period of 3 months, 6 months, 1 year + etc. I have noticed that the bottle aging really has a nice affect on the wine making it more subtle, approachable and less aromatic.

Just thought I would share this with you guys as I feel that this is an important step in my process going forward. I would like all of my wines to get at least 3 to 9 months of bottle aging before consuming.

Have any of you had similar experiences?

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
Aging makes a huge difference in the taste of your wine. Especially reds! I age my reds for a minimum of 2 years. I have 100's of bottles of red that are 3-4 years old that I feel are just now hitting their stride.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
I reference this often but I’ll say it again. Winemaking has been a constant throughout my whole life- but the wines were always consumed before 1.5 yrs.
And then a few years back I found an unlabeled discarded bottle accidentally aged about 4 yrs. It was a simple CabSav juice pail- no frills. And I was blown away. Had no idea my wine could get that good. Learned a valuable lesson that day.