botteling systems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there a super simple device i can attach to a siphon hose which can regulate the flow like the more expensive machines do?

Do yourself a favor and buy an All In One Wine Pump, I can fill 2 cases in about 10 mins tops, not to mention, rack without lifting carboys and breaking my back, filter, and did I mention you can bottle beer as well with the beer bottling attachment!
Read this: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/review-allinonewinepump-15976/ a thread that has nothing but dozens of positive reviews of the vacuum pump and the customer service!

Tom

racking i have no problem with an auto siphon but it does look pretty nifty and as far as bottling it does look a heck lot better than a siphon... i was looking for something cheaper but i think ill be getting one. thanks

How bout a three spout bottle filler? I can fill 2 cases in no time at all

is there a super simple device i can attach to a siphon hose which can regulate the flow like the more expensive machines do?
Yes it's called a bottling wand and is sold by all reasonable wine making stores. It works well with an Auto Siphon, also sold by any reasonable LHBS.

[BTW, use of word reasonable because I was reminded recently that some U-Brews in Canada do not sell equipment. Which, IMO, is not reasonable.]

Steve

thanks everyone for the help

poni i googled the he 3 spout filler and what came up is a stainless steel device for about 500$. at half the price id go with the all in 1.

steve thanks the wand is exactly what i had in mind

tom what are the benefits of the all in 1 over the wand? also the wand fills from the bottom of the bottle and the all in 1 fills from the top. is it not true more air which we try to avoid would get in from the top?

i did notice in the promo video a little bubbling at the top with the all in one; i imagine it dissipates fairly quickly

The bubbling is from the vacuum, and as soon as you hit the vacuum release, it's stops.
As you are racking and see these bubbles, you are actually degassing the wine as well, a major pain in the arse made extremely simple with the All In One, if you want to see just how good it works for degassing, try a sip or two of the wine before the first rack, odds are it will be harsh, maybe bitter, a typical young wine, after you rack it, it is noticeably smoother.
Read the reviews, you won't be disappointed!

so the degassing is something i wouldnt get from a basic bottling wand and the wine wont degass on its own in the bottle? i was thinking the bottling wand looks simple enough and is probably cheap so ill start with that and maybe buy the all in 1 later, but maybe i need me an all in 1 now.

Degassing can finish naturally, usually after a bit of time, there are other ways to try to degass, most of them time consuming and not very efficient.

The bottling wand works just fine, much easier than just using a siphon hose. This is what I would suggest if you're only doing a few carboys a year. If you're in the hobby for the long term then get the All in One now or when you do a year from now you'll wish you had got it sooner.

The beauty of this hobby you can be as thrifty as you want or invest in the right equipment to make the hobby more relaxing and enjoyable. Some of us use the enolmatic which allows us to filter and bottle at the same time.

Actually the bottling wand is cheap and easy to use. When the wine gets to the top of the bottle, pull up on the want and it leaves the proper headspace for the cork. Every time you rack you will degass some and letting time in the carboy will help degass. The allinone makes things go faster, it is way easier on your back but costs more. If you are just getting started, use the wand and some time and maybe something to stir the wine with and it will be degassed. If you keep on with the hobby, go with the allinone. racking, bottling, degassing and no lifting of full carboys. Doesn't get much better than that. Arne.

im in it to win it:)
last year was my first i did about 15 gallons
this year i have 39 gallons after first racking. i dont mind lifting the carboys, i already built a pedestal out of boxes full of books on which i keep the full carboys. as far as waiting i dont mind waiting; i still have last years wine bulk aging and im in no particular rush to bottle it, so if time is all it takes to degass then maybe i dont need the all in one now. i guess ill see when it comes time to bottle if i have the money then ill buy it since ill its so useful and ill probably want one in the future but if im strapped for cash as i am now then ill just buy a wand.

Sholom, you sound like a very reasonable person, I like your style. I wish I had you're self control. I want it now when I see something cool. Ticks my wife off because she can't ever find the right gift for me because I already got it.

Latest posts

Back