Borax for cleaning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieLynn

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Borax for cleaning wine making supplies or a carboy? I'm wondering if it would be ok to use if everything is rinsed well because I have a surplus of the product here.

I'm not sure if I would be willing to use it, isn't there clorex in that?

Borax is a natural mineral compound, it contains only borax. Aside from use as a cleaning agent it has been used as a preservative. As well as a bug proofer. The pioneers used it on meat to preserve and keep flies off. however, it was spread on the meat, but trimmed off and discarded prior to consumption because it has an extremely high pH and often resulted in bouts with diarrhea. Today it has uses has a hide preservative. Any residue left within the container would raise the pH of any must contacting it. Although residue starts off clear, it turns white over time. Other that that, it would not hurt as long as it was rinsed well.

Is the residue inevitable after rinsing or do you think it would be gone completely?

Thorough rinsing will remove any residue. The thing about borax is it improves the ability of other cleaning agents to do there job, but as a solo act it is not the best.

I add a small amount (~quarter cupful) borax to my washing machine when washing clothes.

Latest posts

Back