Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In about a week blueberries are going to be ready to pick where I live. I want to make about 4 gallons total of BB wine. I found this recipe and it is for 1 gallon. Do i do the math and adjust it? For example instead of 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme I use 2 tsp, 4 Campden tablets etc etc etc. If someone has a recipe for a four to six gallon version they would like to share I would appreciate it

http://www.finevinewines.com/Blueberry_Recipe.htm

Thanks

Yes you would multiply everything X 4 except the yeast. Keep the SG around 1.085 so watch the sugar addition as some recipes have you start them around 1.100 and in my opinion thats too high. I would use Red Star Montrachet yeast or Cotes Des Blanc or Lalvin 71B-1122. I have only made a melomel (mead) using Blueberries and it is Waldos recipe which I upped the amount of Blueberries on it.

That looks like a good recipe X 4 or 6....

I have made only one batch of Blueberry Wine and mixed it with 2 bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate per 5 gallon batch.....I was really a nice wine.

This year I hope to get enough Juneberries to try a batch of that in hopes it might be almost as good as Blueberries.

Blueberries might be good this year in Minnesota as we had a good snow cover this past winter....But, with the late spring who is to say what the harvests of anything will be.

So northern winos where do you get the WE grape con. do you buy it from George ??

Awesome.... I can't wait to start picking and making wine from fruit. My step son is eager to do all of the blueberry picking, hahaha

I talked to them about this very question. I was told to add the concentrate after you stabilize it then clear it after that.

FirstTime,
The first fruit wine I ever made was blueberry and it is the best. You will love it.!!!!

Ramona

The concentrate is usually added at the beginning. Wine conditioner is always added at the end.

I just bottled a batch of wild blueberry wine this past Memorial Day. I used blueberry concentrate to add to the wine before clearinginstead of grape concentrate. I don't think you can buy the stuff, you have to make it yourself. I used about 1.5 lbs of blueberries for every gallon of wine for the concentrate. Just get all the juice out with some sort of juicer then put it in a saucepan and reduce it. Don't boil it, just get it almost to the point of simmering and let it steam away for 4 hours or so. You'll get a nice thick blueberry syrup to add to your wine. I really like doing this because when you drink the wine it is DEFINITELY blueberry you are tasting. Very,very "fruit forward".

Nothing wrong with grape concentrate either. Whatever YOU like is what you should do.

Latest posts

Back