Blueberry Wine Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefani

Twitter: @John_A_Stefani
Reaction score
So I made a gallon of Blueberry Bliss.

I have heard that with grapes one can make a second wine batch from the crushed grapes. So, I have started a Second wine batch with the crushed Blueberries I had in the straining bag.

Here is what I added:

Start Date 8/3/2013
2 cans of Old Orchard Blueberry Pomegranate
6 cans of water -- This brought just over a gallon.
2 tsp Acid Blend
1/8 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp yeast nutrients

At this point my starting SG was 1.042
To get the SG up I added 1 lb 4 oz of sugar to raise SG to 1.110
No additional yeast was added

As of this morning the yeast was bubbling the must hard.

My Costs:
Cost for the Old Orchard juice $1.30 on sale after doubled coupons ($1 of of four) at Rainbow Foods.
Sugar $1.77 for a 4 lb bag at Rainbow Foods.

Total cost for this gallon: $3.15
If it turns out it a 750 ml bottle would be $0.63.
Perhaps, I'll put a portion of a spiral in it during aging.

I will keep this board up to date as it progresses.

Stefani said:
So I made a gallon of Blueberry Bliss.

I have heard that with grapes one can make a second wine batch from the crushed grapes. So, I have started a Second wine batch with the crushed Blueberries I had in the straining bag.

Here is what I added:

Start Date 8/3/2013
2 cans of Old Orchard Blueberry Pomegranate
6 cans of water -- This brought just over a gallon.
2 tsp Acid Blend
1/8 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp yeast nutrients

At this point my starting SG was 1.042
To get the SG up I added 1 lb 4 oz of sugar to raise SG to 1.110
No additional yeast was added

As of this morning the yeast was bubbling the must hard.

My Costs:
Cost for the Old Orchard juice $1.30 on sale after doubled coupons ($1 of of four) at Rainbow Foods.
Sugar $1.77 for a 4 lb bag at Rainbow Foods.

Total cost for this gallon: $3.15
If it turns out it a 750 ml bottle would be $0.63.
Perhaps, I'll put a portion of a spiral in it during aging.

I will keep this board up to date as it progresses.

My blueberry /grape is turning out great! It's posted down a few threads . My slurry from my blueberry wine took off no problem and when I racked to secondary taste great.its now about dry, I'll check in a day or to.. Looks promising ...and cheep

I've been doing a little tasting of the must as it became more of a wine in the primary and It is really bitter. Although it may be too late but perhaps there is either too much tannins or acid in it. The color is less of a deep purple and more of a red than the original batch. I will continue this batch to the end.

I've been doing a little tasting of the must as it became more of a wine in the primary and It is really bitter. Although it may be too late but perhaps there is either too much tannins or acid in it. The color is less of a deep purple and more of a red than the original batch. I will continue this batch to the end.

It's bitter because it is young. It may be read due to yeast in suspension, and turn darker as it settles out later. If you want more sugar and color (and blueberry does benefit from back sweetening), add blueberry concentrate as a sweetener after you stabilize the wine. A good blueberry concentrate can be had from www.homewinery.com.

BTW, the Blueberry Bliss you are making is not the same as the recipe I posted. Did you come up with the name yourself?

The first gallon I made with the blueberries was based on your recipe, jswordy. Except I used 4 lbs of blueberries instead of 3 lbs.

The second gallon ferment was from the left over berries from the Blueberry Bliss batch.

It's a variation recipe of #48 (Second wines, red) in the "Winemaker's Recipe Handbook" on Page 17. The first gallon was pretty much your Blueberry Bliss recipe. This gallon batch is really a 2nd ferment experiment.

Perhaps I'll rename it something like "Sloppy 2nds Blueberry", "Bottom O'Barrel's Blueberry" or "Blueberry Italiano"

What would the readers of this thread recommend I name this 2nd ferment wine?

Latest posts

Back