Blueberry Wine Blending options?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polarhug

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a blueberry wine blend, perhaps a blueberry/syrah (hearty red) OR a hint of blueberry/piesporter (blush type)..... call it blueberry pie :h

I guess i'm not interested in a straight blueberry wine, but more intrigued by what blueberry flavor could add to my traditional bases. But maybe I would enjoy it, i'm not really sure as I've never had a straight blueberry!

2 questions: Should I ferment everything out separately then blend at bottling, or mix it up right away? I'm planning on using the concentrated juice.

Any ideas on other wine varieties that would blend well? If anyone has any blueberry blend success stories I would love to hear them!

Polarhug said:
I'm thinking of doing a blueberry wine blend, perhaps a blueberry/syrah (hearty red) OR a hint of blueberry/piesporter (blush type)..... call it blueberry pie :h

I guess i'm not interested in a straight blueberry wine, but more intrigued by what blueberry flavor could add to my traditional bases. But maybe I would enjoy it, i'm not really sure as I've never had a straight blueberry!

2 questions: Should I ferment everything out separately then blend at bottling, or mix it up right away? I'm planning on using the concentrated juice.

Any ideas on other wine varieties that would blend well? If anyone has any blueberry blend success stories I would love to hear them!

I just finished up a blueberry port style wine. Blueberry wine is amazing, once you have it, you won't want to blend it.

I used 5 lbs blueberries per gallon ( water makes up the balance)

Sugar to 1.095 SG. I added more sugar once SF reached 1.050 back up to 1.095.

1 lb chopped raisins per gallon.

EC-1118 yeast

After the wine cleared, I back sweetened with a combination of blueberry juice and sugar (to taste).

I've blended my Blueberry Wine with my Elderberry, 2/3 blue 1/3 elderberry. It was very good. Also blended my Blueberry with Blackberry again 2/3 1/3. I always now blend after a year of aging before bottling. This way you can try different ratios & find the ONE that suits your taste. Good luck, Roy PS after aging Blueberry on oak chips it's very similar to a Cab, so you might try that also.

I make gallons and gallons of Blueberry. I have blended with elderberry and blackberry but I prefer the pure Blueberry. I did blend a Blueberry/Elderberry/Blackberry and called it TripleBerry, it won a Silver at a local competion I only have 1 bottle of it left. If you are going to blend them either way works, I have fermented them together, and seperate then blend equal amounts. Either way works, but I find that blending after they are fermented gives a better specific flavor, easier to recognize each fruit. Good luck, Experimentation is the key to future success.

Latest posts

Back