Blueberry Melomel recipe question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxsteve625

Reaction score
I'm plan to follow Wades recipe as posted.

Being I only picked 1.5 lbs of blueberries this summer I went to Sam's and bought 15#'s of frozen blueberries. Most of you say to use 5 plus pounds of fruit per gallon. Does the addition of 2 qts juice make up the difference or is it in the honey. I could not find Wymans Wild Blueberry juice but I did pick up 4-14 oz cans of Wyman's Wild Blueberry in water. Is this acceptable as a substitute for the juice?

Blueberry's are almost thawed but I am afraid of starting. I may put them in the fridge for awhile.

Thanks

Steve

Haave never seen these wild blueberries in water so no idea. With fruit wines we usually want the 5lbs plus per gallon but usually knock that # down a little in meads as you want the honey profile to shine through mostly with the fruit second.

Wade, Where do you get the Wymans Wild Blueberry Juice. I have searched everywhere and could not find it.

Also, went to add yeast energizer and nutrient about five minutes ago and came up 2 TSP short on both. Can I add after the fruit when the HBS opens tomorrow?

The local Walmart has Wyman's blueberry juice. It wasn't in the fruit juice aisle, though. Had to ask.

I went to Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Walmart and Harris Teeter...nothing.

I am going to try the cans of Wymans blueberry and maybe even grab another 5 pounds of blueberry's tomorrow.

What do you think?

What about the shortage on the yeast energizer and nutrient? am I alright to add tomorrow?

Man I have a vocano going on. Must on the walls etc. I pitched the Yeast (Hydrated) at 9:00 am last night and by 11:00 PM had signs of fermentation. THis morning I had very active fermentation (punched) and tonight I have must everywhere. The primary has only one inch of space between the must and the top. The primary is 7.9 gallons. Do I just keep cleaniing up and proceed or what? I can't believe the amount of activity I have going on especially when all I've read is how difficiult it is to get Blueberry's to ferment. I have attached my log if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back