Other Blending kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello! I have a question for all you kit blenders here.

Do you invest in a top of the line kit such as showcase or eclipse? Or do you stick with a lower tier kit? I was thinking higher kit better the wine???

In general, the better kits do cost more.

Most kits are already blends, even single varitals are blended for consistancy.

I am purchasing a 7.5 gallon barrel. My intention is to blend say a cab and merlot

You can blend any quality kit wine, so it's really a matter of the quality of wine you're looking for. Most commercial blends are blended post fermentation or after aging.

What I'm curious is would you notice a difference from blending high end kits to lower?

I am getting the idea that you are asking: "If I blend one high-end kit with one low-end kit, can I 'get away with it' and get a double-batch of wine that is closer to a high-end wine?" Do I have your question about right?

I believe the answer is "Up to a point." Before I opened my computer to read WMT, I poured myself a glass of my "Pan-American Meritage." While this blend is from commercial wine (not kits), it may be instructive. I have made this blend a number of times using two very nice bottles, one medium-quality bottle, and two carefully chosen low-end bottles. The result is very tasty and drinkable (and less than $8.50/bottle).

I think the bottom line on such an endeavor is going to be: "You pays your money, and you takes your chances." :sm

What I'm curious is would you notice a difference from blending high end kits to lower?

It would depend on what you're trying to achieve with the blend. In the end, the only way know to know for sure is to do bench trials and see what works out best. I believe a lower end kit wine could be improved by blending with a higher end kit wine, but there's no automatic answer as to what the best ratio of the two would be. A 1:1 blend may not be ideal.

Blending

BLENDING, It think the blending a off kit to a high kit would yell the same as most wine makers using say a Luna Rosa to a Cabernet,the latter would act as a filler if the cab was of good quality and had good structure, or a chardonnay and Semillon blend each brings something different to the mix in it's on proportion in other according to taste.
buy the same token if your blending both wine kits that have the same dimensional qualities,then once again you have to chose what will be the master and what will be the subordinate taste. It's up to your taste buds.:sm I had a wine fellow of mine who mastered at the blending of the middle kits and won almost every contest he ever entered by mastering the blending techniques. he taught me to think outside the box.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe!!! I'm thinking of buying a 7.5 gallon barrel. With this I can blend 6 gallons of a primary and fill the rest with a subordinate wine =)

What wines did this friend of your blend??

remember

remember this is usually done when both wines are finished and a tasting has been done to see at what levels to blend to each other, bench trials as some call them ...think, plan then execute. Don't just act!:u

a tale of taste

as of late the Cabernet with Corinthian black grapes has been excellent, I have done so many it's very hard to say,i like the PINO NIOR with blackberries or the shiraz with raspberries or the chardonnay with elderberry flowers and or course ,PINO,tampranello blend. Like I stated hard to say after a decade of thinking outside the box.:gn

Joe when you say pino noir with blackberries,Shiraz with raspberries etc. are you blending with a fruit wine or like an f-pak? They sound wonderful!

pin o with blackberries

pino nior with blackberries is currently on view at when good wines gone bad 64,000 version, here's a short

1 blackberry Pinot Noir Ingridients.jpg

4 makes 6 gals.jpg

10 yeast on top.jpg

IMG_20140327_175615677.jpg

IMG_20140330_112040192.jpg

1 rinse berries.jpg

4 change colors.jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins.jpg

7 more cooked down.jpg

9  Add to bag.jpg

Latest posts

Back