WineXpert Blending Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAADiamond

Reaction score
Anyone take two kits and combine them in the primary to create a Meritage like finish? I was thinking how two 10L kits combined to make 6 gallons would finish, like a Malbec and a Cab or Trio blend...

One way to find out
smiley20.gif
please let us know the result!

Isn't a meritage typically blended after aging and just before bottling?

I am no expert, but seems to me each varietal of the blend might require a different yeast, fermentation techniques, aging, ..etc.

From "What is a Meritage"

Blending for Excellence

Blending is the personal expression of the winemaker’s
vision, a combination of skill and intuition that unites the elements
of the winemaking process to create a work of art. It is the magic that
gifted winemakers use to create wines of intrigue and enchantment.

Blending allows the components of each varietal wine lot to
merge, binding together to form a new expression. Each varietal lot is
kept separate during the vinification and aging process
, and evaluated
over time to determine whether a particular facet the winemaker desires
has developed. The final blend is determined shortly before bottling as
the timing of the assemblage depends on the grape varieties selected.
An ample amount of time is allowed for the wine to marry in the bottle
prior to release from the winery, usually two to three years. This
‘blending’ of winemaking expertise and creative intuition produces a
luxury cuvée of opulence and refinement.

Winemakers determine the signature of a blend by determining
which grape variety will dominate. The character or personality of the
finished wine is then refined through a judicial addition of
complementary wines. That is why some blends may contain higher
percentages of Cabernet Sauvignon and others Merlot, than smaller
percentages of Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot. Insight and a
thorough familiarity of where grapes are sourced and their growing
conditions, is key to blending excellence.

AAADiamond said:
Anyone take two kits and combine them in the primary to create a Meritage like finish? I was thinking how two 10L kits combined to make 6 gallons would finish, like a Malbec and a Cab or Trio blend...
I read your suggestion as mixing two 10 litre kits with 3 litres of water to make 23 litres (6 US gallons) of wine. I strongly doubt that it will even ferment. The original sg will be through the roof, and the yeast will probably go nowhere. A waste of two kits.

Now if you mix the two kits to make 46 litres (12 USG) then it should ferment,etc etc. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth the effort.

Personally I would rathermake the wines separately. For example, make a riesling and a gewurztraminer. Bottle some straight riesling, and some straight gewurztraminer. Then bottle some 50:50, some 2:1, and some 1:2 (or whatever proportions appeal to you).I have considered this with riesling & g'winebut never done it.

Steve

There have been several posts on this forum in regards to blending wines, both scientific and more free spirited (post, another post). As with many things in winemaking, it's important that you test your fancies.

There's no reason whatsoever that you could not make a blend of the two wine typesthat you mentioned. Some of the kits that are pre-blended are likely a version of exactly what you are talking about.

On a commercial scale, some grapes are blended at crush while a vast number of wines use some kind of blending technique to help the finished product along.

With kit wines, the manufacturers are looking to provide you with a reliable and consistent result that you will consume and preferably (to them) reorder. I'm with Steve on this one - my personal take would be to blend after the wines are made and I have several like this in process. At the same time, why not try to make a pre-blended 12 gallons of wine from two kits? As Steve also notes, mixing the concentrates at levels that aren't recommended by the manufacturer may not be the wisest approach.

- Jim

Yeah, I've blended many wines after each batch has been done separately successfully, but figured two or three wines that use Cuvee and have similar starting SG's may create something different and possibly very good...

I agree that you can't simply combine two kits as the starting SG would probably blow the hydrometer right out of the bucket lol, but I was thinking making 3/4 of each 10L making a 15L b/water. Thanks for all the input home experts!!!

O.k. here we go, last night I combined 10L of Chilean Malbec, 6L of VR Trinity Red and water into a primary in the spirit of experimentation. My starting SG was 1.10, must temperature was 77 and I used Cuvee and a starter to get er going. Its already "cooking" and smells great, so hopefully I will get a nice Malbec, Cab, Merlot blend in the end. If not, I will blend further for refinement when the fermentation is through. Stay tuned...
20100218_105556_various_031.jpg

AAADiamond,
I am new to some of the terms used in wine making.
What do you mean by, "I used Cuvee" ?

DancerMan said:
AAADiamond,
I am new to some of the terms used in wine making.
What do you mean by, "I used Cuvee" ?

Tis a type of yeast

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">3435
</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2706_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Premièr Cuvée

High alcohol tolerance (18%) that should not be used
when ML fermentation is desired. Also used to restart stuck
fermentations. </td></tr></t></table>

Triple A,

So, if it ferments down to 0.996, you should have in the neighborhood of 14% alcohol by volume and you'll have the end result of an experiment that could potentially ask the question - is it better to take one high grade product or two lower grade products combined?

I'm curious how the end result will come out.

- Jim

You got it right on Jim and not to mention, I think the more wine one makes, the more a certain kit may be lacking in either a fruit forward taste or the end finish because of how our tastes develop over time.

Nevertheless, these two kits have all the flavors I'm looking for, so hopefully they'll show up in the end product and I'll have a nice med-full bodied blend to barrel for several weeks!

Update Everyone:

I just got finished degassing my wine, which btw, took forever despite higher temps. The gas just kept coming, could hardly hit the drill before it all wanted to shoot out! I won't add SuperK till a few weeks down the line before it goes into a Medium+ toasted barrel.

Nevertheless, I am very pleased thus far. Despite being young, I can already describe the taste as eating dark Godiva chocolate followed by a glass of merlot! It'll be exciting to see how this blend develops over the next several months. Here's how she looks:
20100227_202612_Random_008.jpg

Looking good AAA
smiley20.gif

How long do you plan toage this one before bottling

Thanks guys,
I plan on leaving the wine in the carboy for a month to make sure fermentation is complete, then I'll clarify and barrel it for atleast six to eight week. I'll taste it and may oak it further, but I plan to bottle it for probably a year, some for 2 years plus as I will have approx 38 bottels when complete.
Best part is, I can detect absolutely no "kit taste." I will certainly update along the way...

I AM A LONG TIME DRINKER OF WINE, FIRST TIME MAKER OF WINE. AAADIAMOND, WOULD YOU EXPLAIN WHAT THE "KIT TASTE" IS.

Wango, the kit taste is what a lot of folks describe as an off aftertaste of wine expert wine kits...if you search the forum, you'll see what some others describe it as...

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

I have a Merlot and a Cab aging seprartely that I plan on blending this summer. I may also add a Shiraz to the mix. I'm planning on doing some tasting of the initial blends to see what I like/dislike and then make a large batch of a few of the blends. After aging them for a bit I will then bottle.

Back