Blending Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bergie

Junior
Reaction score
I want to blend my Barbera with some Petite Syrah. Is this a good choice for a blending wine and how long after blending should I wait until bottling?

I want to blend my Barbera with some Petite Syrah. Is this a good choice for a blending wine and how long after blending should I wait until bottling?

Bergie, It would be helpful to know that status of each of the individual wines you are blending with. Are they from kits, juice, grapes? When were they made? How have they been aged and for how long.

Roger that.

The barbera was made from Lodi juice. Fermented in October and went through it's first racking in December where I added 45 ppm SO2 and 40 grams of med toast Frencg oak. the second racking was March 10. The Barbera tested at 3.4 Ph, TA 6.5. I tested the Ph off strips, over I will have a electronic Ph meter this Friday. The blending Petite is a 2009 finished wine in the bottle also from Lodi. I am hoping to strength the color of the Barbera and reduce some acidity, just a tad.

Blending Is usually done 50-50, 25-75, 20-80 %. With that being said blend whatever you want if you like it.

Reduce acidity by cold stabilizing or see the tutorial section for an article how to.

I blend after clearing then age a year. Back sweeten just a little then bottle. Some like to blend after aging.

Do a little bench testing and tasting. Find out how much of each you want to add with each other, and if you like the taste of it. If you don't like it you won't mess up the whole batch. Arne.

Back