Blackberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Ready to "play" with my blackberry wine tomorrow.
Have 6 gallons, I want to bottle 4 of them and fortify the other 2 in varying amounts to see what works best.
Flavor is strong so I think I can do this

Question: How high can I go with the ABV before it will not mellow out or loose its blackberry taste?</font>

ABV is 14% +/- .5% right now

I have some "stuff" to added to it but has distinctive strong corn whiskey flavor to it.....
smiley4.gif
80% - 85% ABV.

I'll use the pearson square to get to my top number but from your experience what is too high a level of ABV.

How long should it rest before I see how its doing?</font>

It all depends on the alchohol used and using something other then a nuetral as you have will start to give its taste much faster which may or may not be a good thing. I would say with what you have it will start showing around 17-18 abv and it might just be a nice addition.

Try one batch fortified with Blackberry brandy. Did you oak your Blackberry? I like a French Oak, Medium toast myself

no Waldo, I didn't even give that a thought, maybe I can do that to one of the gallons that I play with ..... good Idea!
smiley17.gif

Waldo said:
Try one batch fortified with Blackberry brandy. Did you oak your Blackberry? I like a French Oak, Medium toast myself

Waldo how much and how long did you do..

Back