Blackberry Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
Some of my Blackberries have this problem anyone know what it is? And are they okay to make wine with or not?

Triple Crown and another kind, can't remember the name.

blackberry1.jpg

They taste a little sour, but other than that okay.

We have lots of those this year. The brown parts are all on the sun-exposed surfaces, so my thoughts were sunburn. The bottoms of the berries are fine. I went to a U-pick blackberry farm they had them too, and I asked the guy about it and he thought sunburn too.

I haven't found anything on the web yet that supports this.

It looks like they have something commonly called "White Drupelet Disorder" or Syndrome. it is unsigtly and is't accepted in the fresh fruit market, but doesn't normally cause any reduction in fruit quality, maybe more flesh to juice ratio since the white drupelets don't have much juice.
It's not completely clear what causes WDD but it's often attributed to sun scald or damages caused by bugs like stinkbugs or red mites. since yours is in one area i would assume its caused by sun scald.
i would use them in wine, put up the poundage to compensate for the white druplets.

Thanks for the help, thinking back Apache and Triple Crown was what I planted two of each to start. Glad to know I can still use them, about a quarter of the berries are effected at least a little.

Looks to me like Dry Cell Syndrome mine have it too. Do a google search (Blackberry dry cell syndrome ) and check the images

Thats stink bug damage. We have a small berry farm here in NE Arkansas and the stink bugs are horrible. We have to spray for them quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back