Blackberry port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the one that I ended up with a lot more than I planned on. I planned on it being a 3 gallon batch, it ended up almost 4 1/2 gallons.

I used 25 lbs Blackberry. I know that is light, especially for a Port.

I would probably do as Waldo said with then tannin and maybe even add more fruit like infusing it or by doing another f-pack. Are you sure the higher abv isnt just hiding it and needs more time to come through?

Sweet... The tannins are what I was considering. I will try that.

I definitly think that is part of it Wade, But it needs something more for sure.

Thanks alot guys!!!

I have read that elderberries have been used to improve a variety of grape wines. Any thoughts about adding some dried elderberries to the carboy and let them soak? This would not involve adding any more water. I am making a batch of blueberry port and wasn't given (free) quite enough blueberries, so I added some dried elderberries I had in my winemaking cabinet. Working fine so far. Have you/will you add oak to this? That may have some effect too.

Yeah... I will be adding oak. In fact, i already added oak on one of the jugs. It helped a little, but still needs work. I have also heard elderberries are great in wines, your Blueberry/elderberry Port will be amazing.

Intox, that is a fine and good idea, it will add color, some taste and a little tannins, we always put some in everything that is red now. Crackedcork

Bump to the top - I'd love to hear any feedback on this, as I'm in a similiar situation with my first fruit wine:

12# Blackberries
2 cans Welch's
4# Bananas
Sugar to a starting SG=1.101
Ending/current SG=0.996

The problem was, like the OP, I ended up with too much volume (I now have about 4 gal after racking off gross lees), I think because of adding water to start and then adding sugar. The wine is a now dry and a little rocket-fuelish and I'm looking at splitting it up and playing with portions of it (big f-pac perhaps) to try to get it back.

Thoughts on adding fruit/body to balance out the high? Thanks!

BTW-first time post, been reading for about three months as I get into wine making - this is fun!

Best, Dan

First off... Welcome Dan.

The Blackberry Port had me VERY concerned. It was way to "light". I added another f-pack AND 1/2 tsp per gallon of tan cor tannins (as per Waldo's advise). Oaked it nicely, fortified and sweetened.

I must say.... It is coming along VERY nicely!!! I took a little sample the other day and is getting tastey. It's still young, but coming along.

I would recommend the same steps for you...

Hope this helps...

Joel

Outstanding - thanks Joel!

So, how many pounds of fruit did you use for your f-pac? Just blackberries? Seems like I read around here that someone liked using cherry juice post-fermentation...I may play with that.

I hear you on the oak; I've got one portion of this on some Sta-Vin cubes; only two weeks in secondary and there is already a noticeable difference in smoothness between the oaked and unoaked.

Thanks!

Dan

Oak a must for Blackberry (In my opinion).

I had used a regular sized f-pack first, I went back and did another (almost 2 lbs per gallon, just Blackberries), But remember... Mine is Port.

I would really recommend the tannins for BODY AND TASTE. Use the good stuff, its worth the price.

Also remember to give it time!!!

Time makes flavor enhance, and alcohol to smooth and mellow. You are somewhere between 13-14% ABV.

Give it some time before bottling after adding the tannins.

Latest posts

Back