Blackberry port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... I used a bag.

I used the recipe I posted on the first page. It looked like that of a 3 gallon batch. I don't know how I ended up with so much. I know there was not a lot left in the bag after I squeezed it out. I used 16 pints of water. sugar to 1.115. only a little bannana juice, 24 lbs blackberry, ect. ect.

How much sugar did you add? Im thinking that you used 16 pints of water and then added sugar which probably required a lot which probably almost dbled your volume. I always dissolve most of my sugar in 1 gallon of hot water and then play around with specifics when almost everything is in there and after squeezing the fruit good to see if I need to go up or down with sg.

Thats exactly what I did. I added the water then went in with the sugar. I thought thats how it is supposed to be done.

Should I do anything now?

All that sugar adds a lot of volume but thats very hard to tell without knowing how much you need to use. Thats why I always dissolve most of my sugar in about 3/4 of the intended water. Youll be fine so dont worry,You still have A LOT OF PULP TO FALL OUT!

Looks like this one finished out at .998-1.000 range. It is day 2 of the same reading so I am going to rack and stabilize.

Hey Wade,

I put in a 3 gallon, a 1 gallon and a half. on the1 gallon and the half I mistakingly added to much sorbate. 1 1-2 tsp. (instead of 3/4) I have not added any to the 3 gallon. Should I remix?

Wow. Too bad I live so far. I'd say we could have a tasting when my Bergamais was ready.

Its hard to know where you are xanxer cause lots of us love to throw tastings for some forum friends, Throw your addy: in your sig somewhere so others know whee you are.

Good, I thought I was losing m mind!
smiley36.gif

Nope, your mind is in tact. :)
Mine is itching to get started on my bergamais kit that arrived today. Can't start it until monday because I work all weekend. 12 to15 hour shifts. It is nice to have Monday to Thursday off though.

Added the f-pack to the Blackberry Port today. It's coming along. I think it will still be a touch thin. I will see what happens when I sweeten it.
One of the jugs I have it in needs to be topped up. I assume there is no reason not to top up with the fortifying Brandy or everclear is there?

Latest posts

Back