Blackberry port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodfella

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have a whole bunch of Oregon Blackberries coming in tomorrow from my brother that lives on the coast. I will be making a Blackberry Port. My planned recipe looks like this FOR A 3 GALLON BATCH........ (please make suggestions)

<UL>
<LI>21lb. ripe blackberries
<LI>1-1/2 c. light dry malt
<LI>Sugar to 1.115
<LI>1-1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
<LI>4-1/2 tsp. acid blend
<LI>15 to 16-1/2 pt. water (depends of size of berries)
<LI>3crushed Campden tablet
<LI>1-1/2 tsp. yeast energizer
<LI>3tsp. yeast nutrient
<LI>1 pkt. Lalvin K1-V1116
<LI>Maybe bannanas????
</LI>[/list]
Later I will add F-pack, fortify, oak, and back sweeten.

I think your pretty high on your acid amount, I would only go as high as 1 1/2 as Blackberries are high in Malic acid.

OK.... I will also check it with a test kit Wade. But I will start with 1-1/2 tsp. To be honest... I don't know what the optimal amount of acid ya want in fruit wines is.

I am also going to use some bentonite.

Bentonite is good. If you can get more blackberries I would use more as I use 8 lbs per gallon in wine and would up that to 10 with a port. But thats me.

I would definately add the bananas, and would also recommend using one of these
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6377
and a 4 oz package of these
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=8155
If you decide to use the bananas and elderberries, boil them together. Strain the juice after boiling and add that only to the primary. I bring mine to a good rolling boil then just let them simmer for about 15-20 minutes

I agree with wade too on the acid blend. I would get my must all mixed up good using the 1-1/2 tspand then taste test before adding any more

Hey Waldo,

How many bannana's would you use?

Also.... I read in Jobes thread that the red grape concentrate added a "artificial" flavor. He strongly recommended a blackberry f-pack instead.

Im not sure I can get the elderberries in time.?????

I would use about 5-6lbs bananas and have not personally detected any artificial flavors from the conentrate myself but my pallete may not be near as refined as jobes either. It will be great either way with your recipe.

wade said:
Bentonite is good. If you can get more blackberries I would use more as I use 8 lbs per gallon in wine and would up that to 10 with a port. But thats me.

Hey Wade.... I had origially planned on going 10 lbs. per gallon, but was toldnot to by members of the forum. I have wondered what the negative effects of that much fruit would be.

There sure is a cut off point but like I said I used 8 lbs per g on my wine and that was good but I personally would do 2 more on a port. What abv are you looking for though on this as that would have an impact on what you are going to try to hide?

I'm thinking somewhere between 1.020 and 1.030.

I started it today. I went a little over 8 lbs per gallon. I think I will finish with a strong f-pack at the end. Ialso threw in a pound of raisins from the store.

I did use bannanas.

The must smells incredible.

With everything in... it is at the 5-1/2 gallon mark on my bucket. Is it ok that I used 3 camdem tablets? Do all other ingredients look ok? I get freaked out because its supposed to be a 3 gallon batch, and its sitting at 5-1/2. I worry it will be weak. (beginner jitters maybe)

Sitting at 5 1/2 with the fruit in there right? Pull the fruit out an it should be maybe a 1/2 gallon over the 3 mark to allow for rackings.

Yeah.... 5-1/2 with the fruit. So i should be fine.

Pitched the yeast today. I will keep you posted.

This baby is cookin....

SG this morning is 1.015. Will be racking this afternoon.

I squeezed and removedthe bag. There is still about 5 gallons. I know I will get rid of alot of lee's as I go. But it will probably still be more the the 3 gallons I was planning on. If it tastes weak, I guess I can always do an enormous f-pack.

I am just going to let it go dry, then fortify at the end. Instead of adding sugar right now. (unless you think would suggest otherwise)

Fortifying might be better cause you lose more flavor during longer fermentations.

By the way.....

I AM MAD AT EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM... for not warning me about how addicting this hobby is. you all could have told me 360 posts ago to "just walk away"...... HAHA

I put the BBP into glass.... I filled a 5 gallon carboy and a 1.5 jug. There was no lee's left behind. But i'm still a bit concerned about stregnth. Should I do anything now? Or let it keep rollin and take it as it comes?

20091011_151822_bbport_004_Desk.JPG

Not sure what you mean about strength, please explain. Is it still fermenting?

Yeah... it's still fermenting like crazy.

"stregnth"... I mean, I went 24lbs fruit. I was planning on8 lbs. fruit per gallon. But since there is so much more volume then I expected, I am worried it will be weak on the fruit. (could just be my rookie jitters)

How in the heck did you end up with so much? You may just have to make a big f-pac for this but wait till its settled down and given the taste test! By the looks of the top of that carboy you will have a lot of sediment, did you use a fermentation bag?

Latest posts

Back