Blackberry & Oaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I read somewhere, that oaking a Blackberry wine was a common thing.

Seems to me though,that the naturally high tannins in the Blackberry would take care of that need for additional tannins...

Or am I wrong on that?

Some grape wines have a lot of tannins natually and they are still oaked in barrels. Its a preference if someone likes more or less tannins. I myself like oak & tannin bombs.

Amen Bill......Stand up and testify buddy !!!!
That Blackberry needs some good oak hasndyman.

<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD vAlign=top>Topic: Blackberry &amp; Oaking
Posted: Today at 12:27pm By Waldo </TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider style="HEIGHT: 150px" vAlign=top>
<DIV =msg style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">Amen Bill......Stand up and testify buddy !!!!
That Blackberry needs some good oak hasndyman.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>Without meaning to insult or question the judgement of a wineman that certainly has more experience (wisdome) than I...

Why?

My french medium oak instructions said to soak in water for 12 hours. After doing so the cup of water with soaking chips smelled like burnt wood to me. I went ahead and dumped them in the wine as it ages for 30 days. I will give it a week then see what it tasts like, so one should use their discreation before blindly oaking their wine because it is the thing to do or someones opion to do so. just my 2 Pesos
smiley1.gif

Handyman, MY simple answer is that Oak adds character to the wine. I use American Toast in my Blackberry. I do not want a Heavy toast as this will add burnt aromas I don't want that. A light or med. toast added after primary fermentation is complete will impart not a lot but a hint of vanilla. Again don't look for a major flavor just a hint. Also Oaking will give a slight improvement in mouthfeel. All the changes will be very small, so I would add oak on first racking. Then I would check weekly untill you get the desired taste. Hopes this helps.

Another thing oaking will do is add tannins which will help it age a little longer and add complexity.

I also ADD oak to my blackberry wine and blackberry port. I recently ADD oak to half of my raspberry wine. I tasted it the other day from the carboys and it was very good, so now I am adding oak to the other half.
smiley1.gif

I also make blackberry wine ,but I can't image the deep earth taste and aroma,getting any deeper buy adding oak,nor the tannin added dryness ,but I made 6gallons this year and 6 last season,I'll take 3 gallons and try it,sounds good for a port ,but a fruit wine,I don't know.
smiley3.gif

After some additional learning, here's and update to this question I had.

Wine Maker Magazine.
June-July 2004
Wine Wizard
Straight Foward Fruit
by John Smith

""Fruit Forward" wine... simply means wine in which the fruit is very prominant in the aroma and taste of a wine."

"Don't over-oak! If you add too much oak (in the form of chips, powder or beads) to a fermenter or aging vessel, you will not smell fruit, you will smell oak."

My take on this is, if you're looking for a fruit foward wine (and I am), dont add anything that will change the taste or aroma of the fruit. Oak adds aromas and tastes of anything from mild coconut to earth tones.

Hope that helps some one else.
Happy whining Folks.
smiley4.gif

I make Blackberry wines (9 gallons this year (so far)) and Port (12 gallons so far this year) and I oak every batch!

Oak adds an almost 3 dimensional depth to the flavor that, with proper aging, lends itself to the fruit by offering it validity and depth. Just pick you oak wisely and don't over do it.

I generally add at fermentation a couple ounces of French or American toasted oak, then in the secondary, I'll add 3 to 4 oz of Hungarian oak cubes. My last batch I could only find the Hungarian chips and was pretty disappointed in the lack of flavor I got from them, so I'm sticking with cubes from now on, at least in the secondary.

For me, because I pick all my berries in a woodsy type environment, it just seems natural that the wine taste like were it came from....................

Good thing I don't pick them near a sewer plant
smiley36.gif

Back