Blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly22guy

Reaction score
My Blackberries on the hill behind my house look very promising this year! Hopefully i can win the battle between the birds and my dog and get a large crop this year! (Last year: When i pick my blackberries i always use 1 gallon freezer bags to put them in then once full just toss in the freezer. Well last year with an almost full bag my dog decided to jump up and snatch the full bag of berries from my hand and run across the yard shaking his head the whole way!) Ill def have to get some owls though to keep the birds away! not sure about the puppy!

Several years ago I lived in Arkansas and had a really big tame blackberry bush. If I hadn't netted it, I would not have gotten a single blackberry. That one plant eally produced!!!

My Blackberries on the hill behind my house look very promising this year! Hopefully i can win the battle between the birds and my dog and get a large crop this year! (Last year: When i pick my blackberries i always use 1 gallon freezer bags to put them in then once full just toss in the freezer. Well last year with an almost full bag my dog decided to jump up and snatch the full bag of berries from my hand and run across the yard shaking his head the whole way!) Ill def have to get some owls though to keep the birds away! not sure about the puppy!

Shawn,

What type of dog? I am not real fond of netting, birds do get got in them and I am not out to hurt them, I just want the fruit! We have an owl and I am shocked at how well it works.

He is a black lab puppy just turned 1 year about a month ago. Yeah i think im going to use a couple of owls mounted on posts, as netting would be very hard to do as they grow on a bank off of the deck and its about 80 ft long and it goes up bout 15ft. if i get a chance ill snap a photo of it this weekend.

Everytime I read about how ypou all have to fight for Blackberries I remember how blessed we are here. There are so many wild blackberries here most end up on ground rotting. The birds don't even put a dent in them. Most people here, including myself fight to keep them out of everything. Including biuldings

Everytime I read about how ypou all have to fight for Blackberries I remember how blessed we are here. There are so many wild blackberries here most end up on ground rotting. The birds don't even put a dent in them. Most people here, including myself fight to keep them out of everything. Including biuldings

That's pretty much how it is here. So far birds haven't been a real problem for blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, cherries, etc.

We have enough of this stuff growing well away from people that their bellies are full enough!

Yeah mine are all wild and overgrown. i try to keep them trimmed back. and i have numerous areas around my house that i can go pick too. but hey these are in my back yard (aka Jungle)

Latest posts

Back